Friday, September 16, 2011

Centaure

Like Carrera Black, this is another fragrance for which I could find no reviews on the internet.  Also like Carrera Black, I bought a bottle of this without having sampled it first.  Unlike Carrera Black, however, Centaure is not a very good fragrance.

Now that I've worn Centaure a couple of times, I can understand why nobody has reviewed it: there is absolutely nothing about this scent that is remarkable.  This is as generic as it gets.  I get no pleasure from writing negative reviews, especially when it comes to budget fragrances, since I'm the kind of guy who always roots for the underdog.  However, I can't help but feel that Centaure is a definitive "cheap smelling" cologne.

The first thing that comes to mind when I wear this is how chemically synthetic it all smells.  Centaure smells like it's trying to be a spicy woody incense fragrance, but it's so lacking in depth and complexity, it all ends up smelling flat and fake.  The sandalwood, lavender and incense notes are blatantly synthetic, and they all smell bad, like they belong in an air freshener.  Centaure is a spicy fragrance, but it smells poorly blended, with a lot of sharp, rough edges that don't belong in this kind of fragrance.  It just smells like a bad imitation of a lot of other woody spicy fragrances (Halston's Catalyst for Men and Van Cleef & Arpels' Tsar come to mind), thrown together with little concern for balance or construction.

Obviously I really wanted to like Centaure.  Do you honestly think I'd spend money on a cologne just so I can make fun of it?  Who would do that?  Unfortunately, I've given this two full-day wearings, and I can't find any love here.  It's certainly far from the worst fragrance I've ever smelled, but I really can't think of anything positive to say about Centaure.

MY RATING:  4.5/10

Fragrance House:  Pierre Cardin

No comments:

Post a Comment