Thursday, September 8, 2011

Fracas For Men


I figured for my first review of the blog I'd pick a scent that doesn't get a lot of attention - Fracas For Men.  Unfortunately, the little publicity it does get tends to be negative reviews.  Most reviews I've read call this cheap-smelling, ugly and nothing more than a cheezy drugstore cologne.  Plus, too many people get hung up on the "Fracas" name, because this doesn't smell even remotely like the original Fracas for women.  So what?

I have to wonder about the tastes of reviewers who trash Fracas For Men.  Do these people really like strong, manly fragrances anyway?  Or are they fans of boring, weak-ass aquatic fragrances?  I really have to wonder about this, because I have a hard time imagining any man who likes old-school fragrances not liking Fracas For Men.

This is a very good leather fragrance.  If you've ever smelled English Leather cologne from back in the 1980s when the MEM company still made it, you'll have a good idea of what Fracas For Men smells like.  Basically, it smells like an old worn, even musty, leather baseball glove, mixed with lavender and some talcum powder - essentially a barbershop-styled leather fragrance. It also has a kind of salty smell to it on top of the leather, sort of like the smell of a leather boat shoe that's taken a beating after years at sea.  Fracas doesn't have the depth or complexity of a Knize Ten, but like that classic leather scent, Fracas For Men smells like a fragrance best suited for a man who is mature, savvy, and has paid his dues in life.  This is not a cologne for dudes who do keg stands on the weekends.  This is a manly fragrance for men, not teeny boppers.

Don't be scared away by the price of this, since you're likely to find it being sold for dirt cheap; this is quality stuff.  It's nice and strong, though not overpowering, and long lasting, so we're talking about excellent value for your money here.

MY RATING:  8/10

3 comments:

  1. I must admit i am guilty of being biased against FfM based on the negative reviews i have read re the frag. your review puts it right back in my to-investigate list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This frag is so inexpensive, it's worth a blind purchase. That's what I did, and I've been very happy with it. It's not an amazing scent, but I really do like it.

    No, it's not a scent I'd expect your average perfume fan or niche fan to like, but for guys like us who love the old-school leather frags, this is right up our alley.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear about this - could be a winner for me. Yes - all I hear about is the ladies' fragrance, of which I am swimming in samples, and which I do not care for one bit. But an old-school manly leather? Cool!

    ReplyDelete