Saturday, September 24, 2011

I Am King

Let me start off by saying that I have nothing against Puff Daddy, Sean John, or whatever name he's calling himself right now.  I love hip-hop music, but I'm neither a fan nor a hater of Diddy.  I have no opinion of him either way.  This fragrance has been reviewed by many people, and I get the sense that most of the scathing reviews are fuelled by an anti-Diddy attitude.  That's unfortunate, because we should judge fragrances on how they smell, and on that basis alone.  I have no axe to grind whatsoever with this man. 

Unfortunately, I Am King is not a very good fragrance.  It's not terrible, but the reason I don't like it is because it is so dull and short-lived, and when you consider that this juice was going for about $70 US for a 3.4 oz. bottle originally, I can't help but give it a thumbs down.

I Am King is a fragrance consisting entirely of citrus top notes, from what I smell.  It literally does smell like orange juice mixed with cranberry and grapefruit juice.  Fruit juices certainly are refreshing to smell, and I can't imagine anyone thinking fruit juice smells bad.  The problem is that the scent has no staying power at all.  Spray this on, and for about 20 minutes you get a blast of fruit punch smell.  And then it's over.  I can't detect any of the wood notes that are supposedly in this fragrance.  All I get is fruit juice, and that's it.  Fruit juice may smell okay, but by itself, it's boring.  Plus, it doesn't smell like the fruit juices were particularly well blended in I Am King, but rather thrown together in a blender or something.  There's little skill or artistry in the construction of this fragrance.

That's really all I can say about this, because that's all it is.  I don't know, if you find it in the clearance bin for super cheap, it might be worth picking up (that's what I did), but I really don't think it's worth your time.

MY RATING:  3.5/10

Fragrance House:  Sean John

No comments:

Post a Comment