Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Lapidus Pour Homme

Man, I love powerhouse fragrances.  So of course this fragrance, Lapidus Pour Homme, is near the top of my list.  It is the epitome of everything a power scent is: strong, macho, aggressive and heavy.  There is nothing subtle or androgynous about Lapidus Pour Homme. 

Simply being strong, however, does not make a good fragrance.  This scent is awesome because it is totally unlike any other fragrance I've ever smelled.  This raging macho man fragrance has serious swagger.

Lapidus picked the perfect bottle to house this juice: heavy gray porcelain with a dark green cap.  The bottle pretty closely approximates what the fragrance smells like: hazy gray and dark, mossy green.  And heavy, like the bottle. 

The density and power of this scent come roaring out of the bottle the second you press the atomizer, and it doesn't let up much for most of its long life on your skin.  As it develops, Lapidus Pour Homme becomes darker, duskier, and more aromatic, as the patchouli, leather, tobacco and moss notes establish themselves.  The patchouli and leather notes are particulary dark and gritty, and they almost smell like they're burnt.  The tobacco leaf and moss provide a dark green hue to the whole scent, while the smell of honey envelops everything to give the scent a slight sweetness and prevent it from smelling like a burning tire.  Overall, this fragrance smells cold, dusky and dark.  Imagine what Kouros would smell like if you cranked up the volume of the moss and the patchouli, and you've got an idea of what this is like.  This is one of the strangest fragrances I've ever smelled, and one of the best. 

As I said earlier, Lapidus is STRONG.  Many reviewers have said that it's the strongest fragrance they've ever tried, and I can't really argue with that.  You could hijack a plane with this.  If you prefer light, wimpy androgynous fragrances that won't offend anyone, then Lapidus is not for youOn the other hand, if you're looking for a frag to make you feel like you own the place, then Lapidus Pour Homme is right up your alley. 

You won't believe how powerful this is!

MY RATING:  10/10

Fragrance House:  Ted Lapidus

14 comments:

  1. Nice review and interesting blog overall. I do the same but on the other side of the Globe ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, but the cap doesn't look dark green to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What type of occasion calls for this frag? Is it formal or just a casual night out? What kind of clothes and setting do you think accompany it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a hard question for me to answer, because this is a true powerscent, and I wear powerscents all the time. I love them. There are only two ways I can answer your question:

    1. If you don't like powerhouse fragrances, I don't think you'll like Lapidus Pour Homme. This is one of those few that I have to say will only appeal to guys who love their frags loud and macho. If that describes your tastes, you'll probably love this.

    2. Having said that, I guess the only time this wouldn't be appropriate is in a situation that really calls for being very discreet. Like a funeral, or visiting a sick relative in the hospital. I'm being totally serious here. In situations like that, Lapidus is a bad choice. Oh, and of course if you work in an environment that cracks down on people wearing fragrances. Lapidus will get you fired.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,
    Totally disagree with statement "If you prefer light, wimpy androgynous fragrances that won't offend anyone, then Lapidus is not for you";) I love Antaeus (how come there's no review?), Kouros, Arrogance pH, Salvador Dali pH, Black Aoud, Histoires Parfumes 1740, but I can't stand Lapidus pH. "It's the strongest fragrance" - true, but at the same time it could be "the strangest one"; and "Simply being strong, however, does not make a good fragrance." should be a punchline (warning;))
    Brilliant blog and great reviews! Thank You!
    P.S. Please forgive me my Pidgin...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't mean that all powerhouse frag fans will love Lapidus - it is definitely a love/hate scent, no matter what your tastes are. What I meant was that the only people I can see this appealing to are people who love their frags strong and intense. I can't imagine Lapidus appealing to guys who wear stuff like Acqua di Gio all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a bloody masterpiece, this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since following this blog it was one of the first scents I simply had to try. Since then it has become one of my favorites.Only one thing that bothers me, though:

    Why do I keep smelling Bubble gum in this ?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This one continues to escape me. I just do not get the dark and/or mossy notes that others speak of. I get a very linear thing from start to finish that is like some light fruit (pineapple?) or fruit juice. It also doesn't seem like the bruising powerhouse it's reputed to be. I put on 3 sprays, and 10 minutes later, it took effort on my wife's part to smell it on me. Her comment was "It's not a very strong one, is it?" And I said "Actually, it's supposed to be one of the stronger ones."
    Almost the only "powerhouse" that's disappointed me so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait a few days before trying it again. Put it on in the morning and wear it for a day. I think you'll find a difference. A guy on Basenotes a couple of years back wrote a thread about how he didn't consier LPH strong at all. Turns out he only had worn it once, and he'd put it on in the middle of the day, after he'd already put something else on earlier in the day. He tried wearing it a few weeks after that, as his morning frag right out of the shower, and he said that did a world of difference. He now says it's one of the strongest frags he owns.

      I find I can only judge a fragrance if I put it on in the morning after taking a shower. If I put it on midday, after spraying something else on earlier, I can barely smell it because my nose and my brain have already adjusted to whatever scent I'd been wearing earlier.

      Delete
  10. Thanks Sean. The way you suggest is precisely the way I do put on my frag for the day. I am going to keep experimenting with this one. Maybe it will come together for me. As a powerhouse scent, I really *want* to like this one.
    In fact, I'll wear LPH tomorrow and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have luck with this one. It really is a beast.

      Delete
  11. An olfactory masterpiece in an ugly bottle. Regards.

    ReplyDelete