Sunday, September 11, 2011

Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui

I've probably written more reviews of this one scent than any other.  That's because I love it.  If you're the type of guy who doesn't wear fragrances because you think it's for sissies, that's because you've never smelled this.  This is a raging bull of a scent.  No one will ever mistake you for wearing a woman's perfume with this. 

Rumor has it that Oscar de la Renta himself wears this regularly.  I have no idea if that's true, but if it is, he must eat nails for breakfast.  I've also heard that because Mr. de la Renta still wears this, 30 years after it was first released, the company still produces it.  If that's true, I hope he finds the fountain of youth, because this rocks.

I don't know a thing about Oscar de la Renta's fashion line, but I'm a fan simply because they still make this scent.  Designer firms just don't have the guts to make colognes as dense and macho as this anymore.  Tired of light, "fresh" or "sporty" so-called masculine colognes?  Then you need to try this.

Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui smells like it contains every big slamming power note in the world: leather, juniper, patchouli, oakmoss, sandalwood, artemisia, amber, and on and on.  This combination of notes creates a scent that is at once dark, powerful, spicy, woody and leathery.  It's not shy or subtle at all.  It smells dominating and bad-ass.

For me, the three smells that stand out most in this fragrance are juniper, patchouli and oakmoss.  Together, they give this scent a kind of dark green smell from beginning to end.  I love that.  The juniper hits you in the face right out of the bottle.  I love coniferous, pine-like smells, and the juniper here doesn't disappoint, giving Pour Lui a sharp bite right out of the gate.  After the first half hour or so, the patchouli is unleashed, and it's what gives this fragrance its intensely aromatic smell.  The patchouli remains for hours, and ultimately joins up with the oakmoss, giving Pour Lui the muscle it's famous for and nailing this firmly into the 80's Powerscent mold.

This is a powerhouse without a doubt.  A lot of its fans say that this has been reformulated and that the stuff you buy now is nowhere near as powerful as it used to be.  I own and wear both versions of this, and I don't agree with that at all.  Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui continues to have plenty of ballbusting power. 

This isn't to say that Pour Lui is a crass scent, because it's not.  It just isn't light and fluffy.  My wife, who has very discerning tastes in perfume, calls it "beautiful".  I wouldn't quite call it that, but so be it.  I call it awesome.

This is a fragrance for a guy who isn't afraid to stand out.  This isn't for wallflowers - those guys can go spritz themselves silly with Acqua di Gio. 

MY RATING:  9/10

14 comments:

  1. Got my bottle yesterday! It is indeed a beautiful fragrance...

    P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There must be something wrong with me. . .I gave Lui a full wearing Sat & Sun. . .it stayed with me for about three hrs. both times. Four shots each day. It goes on strong but fades rather quickly. Still, it's a beautiful frag.

    P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not the first person I've heard say the longevity isn't great. I get about 8-10 hours out of this one.

      Delete
  3. Bought this blind, based on your review here. Outstanding frag. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're liking it. Buying this is always a risk, because it's so power-packed. I can only imagine powerhouse fans really liking this one.

      Delete
  4. Don't worry... I'm a powerhouse guy! Polo green, Lapidus, One Man Show, you name it.
    But ODLRPL was a new one for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must say... the more I experiment with this one, I think it is really, really close to One Man Show. Don't get me wrong... I like 'em. But I sprayed a bit of one on back of left hand, and a bit of the other on the right. 10 minutes later, and 2 hours later, there was no way I could tell the difference. And generally I could easily be blindfolded, smell any of my frags, and tell you what it was.
    I just think I've got some redundancy having OMS and ODLRPL, but other folks' mileage may vary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I don't smell the similarities b/w the two. I find Oscar much stronger than OMS, plus sweeter. Oscar is much more of a power scent than OMS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tried this out today with Oscar for Men on the other hand. I didn't care much for "For Men" but really liked Lui. It has a nice green soapy opening that is pretty strong but balanced by that soapy freshness in a way. Then it settles down into an chocolatey patchouli that reminded me a lot of L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme Extreme which I love. What is this difference in the vintage bottle vs. the new formulation? A lot of the shops around me seems to have a combination of new and old bottles so I like to compare when I can.

    ReplyDelete
  8. just read your review and have ordered blind - have been trying for ages to get the Kiehl's pour homme oil but no luck. have tried the Halston z14 which I love!! I'll let you know when it arrives!! love your site btw!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BOOM! it arrived! It is awesome - everything that I was expecting and more - i find that it takes a minute or so to settle but then it's ....incredible! - stays strong all day. Soapy, fresh, mossy - been wearing it for a week or so and I'm not joking have had several comments from women asking what is! Shhhhhhhh - don't tell my wife!

      Delete
  9. I'd like to know your opinion about a resemblance between OdlR pour Lui with classic Paco Rabanne pour Homme. Some people think pour Lui is the "hard'n'heavy" versioon of Paco Rabanne (this one is more gentle and quiet)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the most deep, dark, mature, masculine fragrance I own. I love it. A thing of beauty in the drydown.

    ReplyDelete