Saturday, September 24, 2011

Salvador Dali Pour Homme

Salvador Dali Pour Homme is, without a doubt, the strongest, most intense fragrance I have ever smelled.  This stuff literally attacks your sinuses the second it hits your skin.  Therefore, whether or not you will like this scent will depend largely on how you apply it.  I know because I used to think this stuff was vile, but now I enjoy it quite a bit. 

I follow two basic rules on wearing and sampling Salvador Dali Pour Homme: 1. do not apply this fragrance anywhere near your face, and 2.  this fragrance cannot be fairly judged by the usual sampling method of spraying some on your arm and sniffiing it.  First off, if you put this on your neck near your face, you're going to probably get olfactory fatigue and lose a lot of your sense of smell within a couple of hours.  That's how strong this is.  The power with which this scent projects is crazy, and it will overpower you pretty quickly.  I nearly broke a sweat the first time I wore this when I put it on my neck right under my ears.  I felt like I was being poisoned.  Apply this on your wrists, backs of your hands, or tops of your shoulders, and you'll be fine.  As for sampling this, you really need to wear this in order to judge it fairly.  I tried dabbing this on the back of my hand and sniffing it during the day, and I hated it.  It smelled like a smoking, burning metal pan.  It smelled terrible.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, let me tell you what this really does smell like.  Not only is this the most brutal fragrance ever, but also the darkest and strangest fragrance I've ever smelled.  Now this, my friends, is a real "Black" fragrance; stuff like Polo Black smells like cotton candy compared to this.  There are so many different smells blended into this, I find it very hard to categorize this scent, as well as identify its individual fragrance notes.  Basically, to me it smells like burning road tar mixed with flowers, powder, tobacco, leather, rose, patchouli, nutmeg, and ashes from a fireplace.  That may sound pretty disgusting, and it is if you don't wear this correctly.  However, if you wear this the right way (i.e., not bathe in it), it's pretty elegant, and totally unique.  Over time, it does mellow out a bit, and it smells more like a very, very dark woody leather fragrance.

For all you powerheads reading this, I think Dali Pour Homme starts off smelling like a psychotic version of Antaeus, then mellows out over time to finish off smelling a lot like Zino Davidoff (the fragrance, not the man), meaning it ends up being a leathery aromatic rose fragrance.

 Note that Dali Pour Homme was released in 1987, during the Golden Age of powerhouse fragrances, and this is unquestionably a power scent at its most extreme.  However, it stands apart from all the other muscle fragrances from that era, simply because it's so weird and different.  Power scents like Quorum and Kouros smell discreet and watered down by comparison. 

I doubt I'll ever like Salvador Dali Pour Homme as much as my favorites like Kouros or Lapidus Pour Homme, but I still like this nutzo fragrance a lot, and am glad to have such an anomaly in my collection.


MY RATING:  8.5/10

Fragrance House:  Salvador Dali

4 comments:

  1. This one ain't half bad. Different, dark, and certainly masculine. Not real versatile, but so unique it's cool as hell. And the "lips" bottle is a must-have in a collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This frag took me a LONG time to appreciate. One of my Basenotes buds sent me a sample a few years ago, and I freakin' hated it!! It smelled like ammonia to me. I wore it several more times, each time warming up to it more and more. Now I think it's great, though it isn't one I wear very often.

      Delete
    2. I purchased my first bottle in 1989, and I liked it right away. It really is very unique. I wish I had purchased a whole crate now that they've discontinued it.

      Delete
  2. well well. This is clearly about the original formulation. Please stay current.
    BUT the new reform is still pretty dang decent, though nowhere near as powerful as described here. Nice frag, though.
    Mark

    ReplyDelete