Friday, October 21, 2011

Feuilles de Tabac

This fragrance should really be renamed, because its name is likely to lead to a lot of disappointed customers.  This is not a hardcore tobacco fragrance, and I would expect that most people who are considering buying Feuilles de Tabac are looking for a tobacco-dominant scent.  That is not what this is at all.  Having said that, I can attest that this is an excellent woody, aromatic fragrance, which is the other reason it should be renamed - people looking to buy a wood-dominant scent are likely to overlook a fragrance called "Feuilles de Tabac".

You do get a dose of tobacco in this, albeit a very short-lived one.  Put this on, and you get an immediate strong rush of sweet, wet tobacco leaf smell.  It fades within minutes and recedes into the background, while the smell of pine needles comes to the forefront.  This really surprised me, and in a positive way, since I love pine.  I detect the smell of cedar in this as well, which sustains that great piney, coniferous smell for a few hours.  There are so few really good pine scents in the market, especially ones that have a sustained pine smell, that I think Miller Harris should have capitalized on this and called this "Pine Forest" or something.  I suspect that Miller Harris was trying to acheive the smell of a wooden cigar box or humidor by adding cedar to this fragrance, but I think the effort fails in that sense; Feuilles de Tabac still smells to me like pine trees, at least for the first few hours.

This fragrance goes through a major change in the drydown.  After wearing this for about three hours, I can smell patchouli and leather starting to break through, and the fragrance takes on a smell sort of like Givenchy Gentleman.  It's nice and aromatic, and very masculine.  By the time the six-hour mark arrives, Feuilles de Tabac smells more like it should be named "Feuilles de Patchouli", and that's fine with me.  In my mind, there's no such thing as too much patchouli in a fragrance.

So the moral of the story is this: don't expect another Acqua di Cuba or a stonking tobacco fragrance with this.  You'll be disappointed if you do.  However, if you like coniferous wood scents, or if you like fragrances with a lot of patchouli in them, then Feuilles de Tabac is likely to satisfy.

MY RATING:  8/10

Fragrance House:  Miller Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment