Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Jaguar For Men

I used to not like this fragrance, but I'm happy to say that I've recently done a total 180 with Jaguar For Men. I think it's mainly due to the fact that my tastes are changing a bit, and I've been developing a new appreciation for herbal scents. Good lord, this frag is really herbal. I recently had an opportunity to re-sample and study this fragrance, since this is a pretty complex scent, and I liked it so much that I ended up buying a bottle. I'm reviewing the current, reissued version of Jaguar For Men with the metal cap, not the so-called vintage version from 1988 with the wooden cap, which I have never smelled.

Jaguar For Men doesn't break any new ground, as this is an herbal woody style that has been done many times before in other Eighties fragrances like One Man Show, Basile Uomo, Krizia Uomo and Versace L'Homme. The big opening blast of lemon and grapefruit quickly gives way to a scent that is almost all dry herbs. I smell basil (the dominant note in Jaguar), thyme, sage, mint, rosemary, marjoram, and just about any other herb that could be used to make spaghetti sauce in here. Jaguar For Men literally smells like someone emptied out all the jars of dried herbs in my kitchen, and made them into a fragrance. The dry wood notes make the scent even sharper, and there are good pine notes in the heart which add to the greenness.  Jaguar has a bone dry and very green smell, but luckily the herbal notes are not overly done. I also smell a lot of leather and moss in the drydown, which do a nice job of rounding off the entire scent, giving it both earthiness and smoothness. Besides, it wouldn't be an 80s scent without leather and moss, now would it?

Some fragrances, like Basile Uomo and One Man Show, use herbal notes in too heavy-handed a fashion, which result in fragrances that can smell overbearing and off-kilter. Jaguar has an assertive, intense scent that is very masculine, but its excellent sense of balance makes it much more comfortable to wear than many of the other herbal fragrances from its era.

This type of fragrance was popular back in the 70s and early 80s, and isn't really in style anymore. However, that's never stopped me from wearing any fragrance, and it certainly won't stop me from wearing Jaguar For Men. This is strong, gutsy stuff, especially compared to the wimpy offerings you see so often released by designer and niche firms these days.


MY RATING:  9/10

1 comment:

  1. I think green fragrances will never be out of fashion especially for men of classic taste whether it is One Man Show, Krizia Uomo, Tsar, Jazz, Safari, Pasha, Quorum and my favorite Jaguar.

    ReplyDelete