Monday, October 24, 2011

K de Krizia

If you've never taken the plunge before and bought a woman's fragrance to wear for yourself, I would not recommend K de Krizia as your first purchase.  This can be a tough one to stomach at first. 

I saw this in a store for a good price recently, and having read reviews saying that this was a leathery chypre that could just as easily be worn by a man, I bought it without smelling it first.  When I first put it on, I thought, "What the hell was I thinking?", because K de Krizia opens up smelling extremely feminine.  You get this big, stonking smell of white flowers and aldehydes that I've only smelled in classic women's fragrances like Chanel No. 5.  I love Chanel No. 5, but it is not something that I want to wear at all; I like smelling like a man, not Catherine Deneuve.  I immediately thought, "Ok, here's another one I'll be giving to Liz", my wife.

I'm glad I sweated it out though, because K de Krizia evolves into something much less blatantly feminine, and just really good.  After about a half hour, the big heady floral smell mellows out a lot, the perfume becomes much better balanced, and you can smell the other notes coming through.  Balancing out the florals are leather, oakmoss and some woody notes - all smells that are very common in masculine fragrances from the 1980s.  I think I also smell tobacco in this too.  The leather and oakmoss are very strong in K de Krizia, and that's what I like most about it.

The drydown reminds me of some men's fragrances that I already wear a lot, like Lauder For Men and Basile Uomo.  Don't get me wrong, K de Krizia is not a macho smelling fragrance - you have to remember that, at the end of the day, this is still a woman's fragrance.  However, it's got a lot in common with men's colognes, and it's a very complex scent, which makes it worth trying.  Like most great fragrances, K de Krizia smells better the longer you wear it.  This one's a keeper for me.

I don't wear fragrances marketed to women all that often, but sometimes I like to think outside of the box and wear one.  If you already have no fear of wearing a woman's fragrance, and you love chypres, then definitely try K de Krizia.  The price is certainly appealing.  However, if you haven't yet taken that leap of faith, don't say I didn't warn you about this one.

MY RATING:  7.5/10

Fragrance House:  Krizia

No comments:

Post a Comment