Saturday, November 5, 2011

Ajaccio Violets

Those of you who aren't familiar with the smell of violet may be thinking Ajaccio Violets is a violet leaf scent.  It's not.  Violet leaf, which smells harsh, green and woody, is a very different smell than violet, so don't expect to smell another Grey Flannel here.  Ajaccio Violets is all violet (as in the flower part of the violet plant), and nothing else.

You don't know what violet smells like?  It's a very green floral smell, like the smell of freshly cut flower stems.  It's also very dry, bitter, somewhat medicinal and soapy.  Men who don't like floral scents will say this has an "old lady" smell, but I look at Ajaccio Violets as being the smell of an early barbershop aftershave, circa 1880.  It smells similar to Pinaud's Lilac Vegetal, only without the nasty pee pee-and-corned beef smell that Lilac Vegetal starts off with, and it's not as long lasting.  So if you enjoy Lilac Vegetal, you'll probably really like Ajaccio Violets.

I think this fragrance smells really good.  I like the briskness of its dry floral scent, and I find it very refreshing and invigorating to splash on after a shower.  However, there's one problem with this, and it's a big one for me, and that is value.  The scent is extremely short-lived, lasting only about an hour after I splash it on vigorously.  That wouldn't be a problem if it cost like $8, the cost of a bottle of Pinaud Clubman.  However, this stuff goes for $70 for a 100 ml. bottle.  Come on.  Who's going to pay that for something that you need to apply liberally in order to smell it for only an hour?  If I wore this every day, I'd use up a bottle in a month.
 
I'm going to give Ajaccio Violets a thumbs up because I like the smell.  If the scent lasted even 3 or 4 hours, I'd probably buy a bottle, but realistically, it's probably only suitable for guys who have money to burn.

MY RATING:  7/10

Fragrance House:  Geo. F. Trumper

No comments:

Post a Comment