Friday, November 25, 2011

Back To Black

Apparently a lot of guys like to wear this, and I don't know why.  I've smelled women's fragrances that smell more manly than this.  When I put this on, I feel ridiculous.  It smells like a room spray, for spraying on pillow cases.

I've read reviews describing Back to Black as a tobacco fragrance.  Acqua di Cuba is a tobacco fragrance, not this.  I smell zero tobacco here.  This is nothing more than a painfully boring vanilla and amber fragrance.  This is even worse than Incense Oud; I didn't like Incense Oud, but at least it was interesting.  Back to Black smells linear and cheap, like a bad knockoff of Obsession For Men, with all the spices removed. 

In my review below of Domenico Caraceni 1913, I noted my irritation at how a superb niche scent like that gets so little attention, while big-name niche houses like Serge Lutens can release a piece of crap like Arabie and have everyone drooling.  I'm adding Back to Black to the "crap" list, with its $395 version of a household product.  Until I find something that I like, this will probably be my last review of a By Kilian scent. 

This fragrance sucks.

MY RATING:  3/10

Fragrance House:  By Kilian

5 comments:

  1. Very disappointed with this one and Arabie, which is just plain gross

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're definitely on the same page here. Calice Becker composed this, which is surprising. She's a superb perfumer, and I'm surprised she'd create something this banal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy shit I could not disagree more with this review! I love this blog and your old school taste shamu, and would've thought you'd atleast appreciate the intensity of this fragrance. I think this is possibly the greatest scent of all time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, but I can't stand this stuff. I don't like most sweet fragrances anyway, but this is one I couldn't stand even wearing it for the 6 or 7 hours I felt I needed to in order to judge it fairly.

    If you love it, then I say more power to you. Wear it and enjoy it. You certainly paid enough for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Obsession without the spice? Sounds freaking horrible to me.

    ReplyDelete