Thursday, November 3, 2011

Bulgari Homme Aqua Marine

This is a very aptly named fragrance, particularly the "Marine" part.  Unlike most so-called "aquatic" fragrances, Bulgari Homme Aqua Marine has a salty smell underlying everything, which gives this an oceanic, breezy smell reminiscent of salt air.

I don't wear or like aquatic fragrances, but I can appreciate almost any scent that is well done, and this is really well done.  First off, it doesn't smell like pool water or dishwashing liquid, which is unusual for an aquatic scent.  I hate most aquatic scents because they smell like chemicals used to clean out swimming pools.  Not here.

What I smell is primarily a woody citrus fragrance with a watery texture as a backdrop.  I smell a lot of grapefruit and lemon, and vetiver gives this scent some bitterness, dryness and transparency.  The smell is bone dry, with zero sweetness, and I like that.  Any synthetic "marine" note in here is discreet and not in your face.  It's there to give the fragrance its watery texture, but it's so well balanced with the other ingredients that you don't even notice that it's a synthetic aromachemical.  Such expert blending can only be the work of a really talented perfumer.

Though aquatics are not my style at all, I would actually buy this fragrance and wear it.  Yes, it's light, transparent, not particularly masculine, and not unique.  However, sometimes none of that matters much when you're talking about an expertly constructed fragrance.  That's what we have with Aqua Marine. 

If you're looking for a single aquatic fragrance to add to your wardrobe, this is the one I'd recommend.

MY RATING:  8/10

Fragrance House:  Bulgari

2 comments:

  1. As aquatics go, Bulgari Aqua Marine is good, but if you haven't tried it, I think Brave Agua Brava by Puig is better and available at less than 1/2 the price. In two words, the dry down in Puig's juice is simply, "Ah. Mazing." Cypress, pine and cedar, and dry. I still like Bulgari Aqua Marine but now prefer Puig's Brava.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cypress, pine and cedar? Now THAT sounds like my kind of fragrance! I've read about that scent, and it's been on my wanted list, but I can't find it anywhere online.

    ReplyDelete