Thursday, November 24, 2011

Domenico Caraceni 1913

There are so many great rose-dominant fragrances for men: Iquitos, Ungaro III, Egoiste, Acteur, Black Aoud, etc..  Out of all of them, however, I have to say that Domenico Caraceni 1913 may be the best.  I am blown away by how great this scent is.

This is a beautiful, aromatic rose chypre.  It's brilliantly composed - it is both spicy and smooth, and all of its ingredients balance out beautifully.  The rose is dark and brooding, not heady and annoying.  Tobacco adds spiciness to the rose and smooths it out even more.  Added to that is aromatic incense and sandalwood, which add more complexity and dry spiciness.  Despite this being a dry scent, it wears like a cashmere sweater, always silky and never coarse or crude.  It's like smelling rose-flavored gingerbread.

The incense dominates the final stages of the scent, but smells peppery.  I love pepper notes in fragrances, but pepper smells don't typically last long.  Fortunately the incense here gives the scent a black peppery smell well into the eighth hour of wearing it.  I love it.

This is a niche fragrance that deserves more attention than it gets.  I don't understand why garbage like Lutens' Chergui and Arabie get so many accolades, while real works of art like this go practically unnoticed. 

This fragrance is so good, it makes most other masculine rose scents smell like they were composed by hacks.

MY RATING:  9.5/10

Fragrance House:  Domenico Caraceni

1 comment:

  1. I like your blogs very much, I always do. And I am so excited to share this experience with your readers. I just recently tried Cologne for Men from Perfumora.com and it was out of this world but this one that you mentioned is next on my list.

    ReplyDelete