Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Feuilles de Tabac - Revised Review

I'm revising my review of Feuilles de Tabac for two reasons: 1. I like it even more now than when I first reviewed it, and 2. the tobacco smells much more prominent to me now that I've worn it a few times.

I consider Acqua di Cuba (by Santa Maria Novella) to be the reference tobacco fragrance.  I must have had Acqua di Cuba overload when I first reviewed FdT and said that there wasn't a lot of tobacco in it.  I was wrong.  Whereas Acqua di Cuba is a smooth, golden tobacco leaf smell, Feuilles de Tabac is the smell of tobacco leaf cigar wrappers in a wooden cigar box.  It's still got a potent coniferous wood smell to it, but underlying that is a strong, semi-sweet tobacco scent. 

I think I was so surprised at the strength of the pine or cedar smell that I overlooked the tobacco.  I was also thrown off by the fact that there's a lot of patchouli in FdT, unlike Acqua di Cuba, which has none that I can smell.  Feuilles de Tabac is both extremely woody and aromatic.  Also, although Miller Harris doesn't designate this as masculine or feminine, this clearly smells like a man's fragrance.  I'd go so far as to call it a macho scent.

Feuilles de Tabac is a complex, beautiful and totally comfortable fragrance to wear, and I have to increase my rating of it to a 9/10. 

Brilliant stuff here.  It's become one of my favorite niche fragrances.

MY NEW RATING:  9/10

Fragrance House:  Miller Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment