Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Royal Copenhagen Musk

Enough niche reviews for now.  Let's take a look at a forgotten old-school reliable - Royal Copenhagen Musk.

If you wear Royal Copenhagen like I do, you'll notice upon first sniff that this fragrance was appropriately named.  The original Royal Copenhagen is a very powdery floral lavender scent, and is pretty damn musky in its own right.  So imagine if you took that same scent, but cranked up the volume on the musk and turned down all the other notes just a tad, and you've basically got Royal Copenhagen Musk.  It's that simple.

I much prefer regular Royal Copenhagen, but that's because I'm not a big fan of musk fragrances in general.  Putting aside my own personal tastes, I can say that RC Musk is a good musk fragrance because the musk is very well balanced with the other ingredients, and as such it's actually a smoother scent than regular RC.  The added musk also lightens the Royal Copenhagen accord and makes it more transparent.

The musk is clearly synthetic, but that's not such a terrible thing because it doesn't rise to the level of a laundry detergent musk.  It's not sweaty or urinous either, but rather a happy medium between beastly and powdered soap.

This will never replace Royal Copenhagen in my wardrobe, but it's worth sampling by any fan of old-school musk fragrances.  It may not be my style, but it's solidly made and reliable, and I can't say that about a lot of today's fragrances.

MY RATING:  7/10

Fragrance House:  Royal Copenhagen

No comments:

Post a Comment