Saturday, November 26, 2011

Sandalwood by Truefitt & Hill

There's not much I can say about this fragrance, except to stay away from it.  Truefitt & Hill is a company for which I have a lot of respect.  Their colognes Grafton and Trafalgar are both excellent, and respresent the classic British style at its best.  I'm amazed they would even consider releasing something this bad.

First off, Sandalwood does not smell like sandalwood.  I've used two sandalwood fragrances as benchmarks for judging all others: Caswell-Massey's Sandalwood as representative of Indian sandalwood, and Santal Noble for Australian sandalwood.  Truefitt & Hills smells nothing like either type. 

Truefitt & Hill's Sandalwood smells like a generic bad department store woody aquatic scent.  It smells like synthetic wood oil mixed with whatever synthetic aromachemical is used to give aquatic fragrances their watery texture.  I smell little to no natural ingredients in this, and what you get is a scent completely lacking in depth.  It smells flat, boring and cheap.  What struck me the most is its strong resemblance to Pierre Cardin's Centaure.  See my reviews below of that one to get the picture.  This really is a terrible fragrance.

I'm disturbed by two things: the fact that it's called "Sandalwood" when it doesn't smell like sandalwood, and the fact that T&F charges $75 for a bottle of something that smells this cheap.  I still respect this company, but I'm staying far away from this fragrance.

MY RATING:  2/10

Fragrance House:  Truefitt & Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment