Sunday, November 6, 2011

Xeryus Rouge

Xeryus Rouge is a perfect example of a fragrance that's great in concept, but horribly executed.  When you first spray it on, it smells passionate and alluring, a red-hot spicy, sweet cologne that smells like the signature fragrance of a womanizing sex fiend.  For the first ten minutes, you get this fiery smell of cinnamon and booze on top of a sweet cherry and hot amber base.  This opening smell promises a fragrance that will make you feel like Don Juan. 

You'd better enjoy that opening while it lasts, because you'll feel like Moe Howard after that.  All that great spiciness and sexiness goes down the shitter fast, because the cheap quality of the ingredients becomes very apparent.  Overwhelming the top notes comes this waxy, chemical wall of smell that I can only describe as floor cleaner.  It flattens any and all remnants of what could have been a great spicy oriental fragrance, rendering Xeryus Rouge a tiresome bore within 20 minutes.  This awful synthetic smell is unrelenting, and simply creates this dull, non-descript sweet smell that is unpleasant and unwearable. 

I actually liked this when I first bought it, but I hate it more every time I wear it.  Now I can't even stand the sight of the bottle.  And don't tell me that it's because this was reformulated.  I've smelled "vintage" Xeryus Rouge, and it's just as bad.

What I find most incredible is that this disaster was created by my favorite perfumer, the great Annick Menardo, who made two of my favorite fragrances, Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin and Jaipur Homme.  It's obvious that she was given a cheap-ass budget to work with, one that even her genius couldn't do anything with. 

Givenchy would have been better off not wasting their time or reputation releasing a shit fragrance like this.

MY RATING:  3/10

Fragrance House:  Givenchy

No comments:

Post a Comment