Friday, December 16, 2011

Indonesian Patchouli by Fruitful Oils

I like complexity in my fragrances.  That's why I've always shied away from wearing perfume oils.  I've always assumed that, for example, wearing just lavender oil would be dull and one dimensional, as opposed to wearing a multifaceted perfume composed with lavender as a dominant note, such as Pour Un Homme de Caron.

Well, I just recently bought a 10 ml. roll-on bottle of Indonesian Patchouli oil from a company called Fruitful Oils, and I may have to reassess my views on wearing oils.  This stuff rocks.  I'm assuming that this is simply pure patchouli oil and a dilutant oil, but I don't know that for a fact.  I've smelled expensive niche and designer fragrances that smell less complex and interesting than this.

Wearing this is like being on a journey of scent.  When you first roll it on, it smells literally like dirt, wet leaves and wet cigarette butts.  Patchouli is my favorite scent, but even I'm turned off by this opening.  Within about ten minutes, however, the scent starts to evolve, and the patchouli's woody character starts coming through.  The intense wet earthiness stays as a backdrop to the dry woody smell, and it even takes on a minty smell. 

For the first few hours, Indonesian Patchouli is a multifaceted, kaleidescopic scent, with its various woody, fruity, earthy and herbal facets popping in and out and interacting with one another.  The final stage is my favorite: it develops a peppery, almost clove-like scent, which is the hallmark of "hippie" patchouli.  I'm no hippie, believe me, but I love the smell of patchouli, regardless of people's preconceived notions of who wears patchouli.  I'm a lawyer by profession, and I plan on wearing this to Court tomorrow morning, with the requisite pin-striped power suit, cuff links and wing-tips, and smelling great.

I can't say that this has made me a convert to wearing perfume oils, but I can assure you that I'll be buying another one of these bottles once I use this one up.  The price certainly can't be beat - $4.99 for a 10 ml. vial that will last me a long time.

To find this, go to Fruitful Oils' website: http://stores.fruitfuloils.com/StoreFront.bok

MY RATING:  9/10

Fragrance House:  Fruitful Oils

2 comments: