Friday, December 9, 2011

Navy For Men

Few fragrances get as much shit as Navy For Men.  It's considered to be at the bottom of a large barrel of drugstore fragrances, and is the laughing stock of that humble group.  I realize that I'm putting my credibility as a reviewer on the line with what I'm about to say, and I'm not trying to simply buck popular opinion, but I actually think this is a good fragrance.  Is it great?  Of course not.  But good?  Absolutely.

I'm going to describe Navy For Men in the simplest terms, since this is a simple fragrance: it's a woody OAKMOSS fest.  Of course there are plenty of synthetic woody notes in this, but they simply supplement and add color to the strong, green, grassy smelling moss that dominates this scent.  I realize that oakmoss (or tree moss) isn't listed as an ingredient in Navy For Men, but it sure smells like it to me.  I love the smell of oakmoss, and here it's big, broad-shouldered and bold.  The light green color of the fragrance matches the light green smell of the scent perfectly.  I have a clear 1 oz. bottle of this, not the big blue one pictured above, so I can actually see what color the juice is.

No, it's not the smoothest or best blended fragrance by any stretch, and the synthetics make themselves known without any shame.  It's crudely constructed, and I've lambasted other fragrances similarly made; unlike a scent like Brut or Quorum, Navy's crudeness is not part of its appeal.  However, its green mossy scent has won me over, and at the end of the day the question is this: do I like the way this smells?  And for me, the answer is yes.

MY RATING:  6.5/10

Fragrance House:  Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment