Saturday, December 31, 2011

Portfolio Elite

Perry Ellis Portfolio Elite is a horribly underrated fragrance, and the fact that it's usually found in clearance bins in discount stores like TJ Maxx doesn't help its case.  Also the fact that it has a certain late-80s/early-90s mossy, semi-powerhouse smell will make it unattractive to many buyers, especially guys who want to rock the latest aquatic or woody citrus frag.  That's fine by me.  It just means more 100 ml. bottles of Elite I can score for ten bucks and stock up.

Although this doesn't quite have the strength of a true powerscent, you'll need to have an appreciation for powerhouse fragrances to really enjoy this.  Portfolio Elite is all about oakmoss, which is the strongest note in this fragrance.  All of the other notes in Elite seem to be there for the purpose of providing polish to that oakmoss note.  There are sweet notes like apple, whitecurrant and amber that give some sweetness and a creamy texture to the moss, but the sweetness is counteracted by green notes like thyme, vetiver and geranium, which add some dryness and prevent this from being a syrupy slog of a scent.  All these notes add interesting, multicolored facets to a big fat oakmoss note that's impossible to hide and doesn't let up. 

You know what I love most about this frag?  It brings back memories of when I was in my early twenties in the early 1990s, when I was first getting interested in fragrances.  I was in law school at the time, and I remember going to Filene's Basement and Marshall's bargain stores after class, sampling all the men's fragrances in the shelves.  All the mossy macho 80s fragrances were what were in the bargain bins back then - Francesco Smalto Pour Homme, Davidoff, Portos, Listen For Men, and other pounders - and I have fond memories of them because they were among the first fragrances I bought and wore back then.  Portfolio Elite smells like those old warhorses to me.  It's memories of when I was learning to be an adult, to be a man.  That alone makes this fragrance worth having in my collection.

MY RATING:  8.5/10

Fragrance House:  Perry Ellis

No comments:

Post a Comment