Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Prince Classic

I like a lot of so-called "drugstore" scents, which are simply inexpensive fragrances you typically find in mainstream supermarkets or drugstores.  Some, like Brut, Old Spice, and English Leather, are among my favorite fragrances, period.  None of them, however, are as good as this German drugstore cheapie, Prince Classic.
The same friend of mine who sent me a sample of R by Revillion also introduced me to Prince Classic.  He sent me a sample of it initially, and when I told him that I thought the stuff was awesome, he picked me up a full bottle on his next trip to Germany.  I am not exaggerating when I tell you that this has quickly become one of my favorite fragrances.  It has all the qualities I love most in a men's perfume: perfect balance, good longevity and projection, leatheriness, aromatic qualities, and an extremely masculine smell.  It is literally the perfect masculine fragrance in my mind.

Before writing this review, I was ready to knock a point off Prince Classic for a lack of originality, since this does smell a lot like Aramis.  On the other hand, Aramis is not a fragrance that is imitated very often - it's too old-school and masculine smelling for designer and niche brands - so I have to commend the manufacturers of Prince Classic for picking one of the all-time greats to imitate. 

However, the more I wear this, the more unique it smells.  I've always loved Aramis, but Prince Classic, I dare say, is even better balanced and smoother than Aramis.  Imagine what Aramis would smell like if you eliminated the harsh top notes, cut down the patchouli a tad, and ramped up the leather.  Prince Classic is a leather chypre scent, but after wearing it for about a half hour, it becomes an almost pure leather scent.  Think about it: a mainstream drugstore fragrance that uses leather as it's base, rather than some lame marine or metallic note.  How awesome is that?

There's only one problem: Prince Classic, as far as I know, is only available in Germany.  My friend tells me that it's commonly sold in the Aldi department store chain in Germany, which I guess is similar to K-Mart in the States.  This means that the next time I'm in France to visit relatives, I'll have to make a detour across the border into Germany to snag a few more bottles of this juice.  Trust me, it's worth it.

MY RATING:  10/10

Fragrance House:  Dalli-Werke

2 comments:

  1. Problem? What problem ? For only 20 $ (incl.shipping !) I will mail it to you from Germany.

    Great blogg by the way, with lots of useful information for people new to the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like the blog, and thank you for the offer. Luckily I still have plenty left in my bottle, but when I run out I might take you up on the offer!

    ReplyDelete