Sunday, December 18, 2011

Sienne L'Hiver

I've never been to Sienna, let alone Italy, so I can't comment on whether or not Sienne L'Hiver smells anything like a winter in Sienna.  What I can say is that nothing in this resembles winter or coldness.  It smells more like a lousy Greek salad with iceberg lettuce you'd order at some pizza joint in Massachusetts.  Who wants to smell like that?

Sienne L'Hiver represents both herbal and niche perfumery at its worst.  It reminds me a lot of Parfums de Nicolai's Patchouli Homme, one of the worst niche fragrances I've ever smelled: it's a sour, ascerbic herbal/floral scent containing some grassy green notes that could be appealing if they weren't overwhelmed by an awful vinegary smell that I can only describe as salad dressing. 

It was no surprise then when I looked up the list of notes in Sienne L'Hiver, and saw that this fragrance contains an olive note.  I'm all for perfumers taking risks, but this is ridiculous.  I can certainly smell that green olive note here, as well as some lettuce and green bell peppers.  I really think the perfumer should have finished the job and added some anchovies too.

I'll give Sienne L'Hiver three points simply for trying to do something a little different.  The problem is this: it smells terrible.

MY RATING:  3/10

Fragrance House:  Eau d'Italie

No comments:

Post a Comment