Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Cuir Ottoman

Cuir Ottoman deserves praise simply for trying to do something new with the leather fragrance genre.  First off, it's the most transparent leather I've ever smelled; leathers usually smell heavy, but this one has an ethereal quality I've never smelled before in a leather. 

Secondly, it's not just leather happening here - iris is a dominant note in Cuir Ottoman, yet it doesn't give it the dark, dusky smell that iris usually contributes to a fragrance.  Lastly, this is the first leather fragrance I've smelled that literally smells like the leather moccasins I've been buying and wearing for the past twenty years.  The leather here has a subtle smokiness lurking in the background, which I also smell in the leather on my moccassins.

The only problem with Cuir Ottoman is that it's totally not my taste.  I love leather scents, but I like them thick, oily and heavy.  When I'm in the mood to wear something transparent, I certainly don't reach for a leather scent - I'll go for a woody citrus scent for that.  Cuir Ottoman is light and very sweet.  There's vanilla in this, and it gets stronger the longer you wear it; I don't like vanilla, and it particularly smells out of place here. 

Cuir Ottoman smells very much like Dior Homme, which is a very sweet fragrance containing leather and iris, and which I prefer to this.  If I want to smell like Dior Homme, I'll pull out my bottle of Dior Homme.  When I want leather, I want leather, not Dior Homme.

Even though Cuir Ottoman isn't my style, I'm going to give it a thumbs up.  It's unique in the leather genre, it's well balanced, and the leather that's in it smells very much like real leather.  I just find it too sweet for me to wear.  I think it would make a much better feminine scent than a masculine one.

MY RATING:  8/10

Fragrance House:  Parfum d'Empire

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you, this is a unique leather scent. But I don't think it is similar to Dior Homme, it's different csmetics: DH is lipstic, CO is powder. And I find really interesting how it can go from an extremely masculine opening to a very feminine drydown. Great review!

    ReplyDelete