Sunday, January 1, 2012

Indian Sandalwood Patchouli Extreme

This is one of the four perfume oil blends I bought and was referring to in my post below, "My View: Wearing Perfume Oils."  In fact, this particular fragrance was what inspired me to write the post, because out of the four I bought, I was the least impressed with this one, in my initial sampling.  When I first smelled it, I thought it smelled dull and way too sweet, and I didn't like it at all.

I'm glad I put it aside and retried it a few days later, because otherwise I would have missed out on what turns out to be a damn good oriental fragrance.  When you give your skin some time to absorb the oils, Indian Sandalwood Patchouli Extreme (ISPE) smells warm, smooth and exotic, just like a good oriental scent should smell. 

It doesn't smell like there's much more than patchouli, sandalwood and amber in this (though I could certainly be mistaken about that), but that doesn't take away from the quality of this fragrance.  Balance is one of the qualities I consider very important in choosing a good fragrance, and it's what separates good perfumers from the hacks.  With regard to ISPE, I'm particularly impressed with how the patchouli, sandalwood and amber work together to acheive perfect balance and equilibrium, where no single note overwhelms the others.  This sense of balance is what makes this fragrance such a pleasure to wear.  And no, it turns out that this scent is not overly sweet.  That's because it's a very well balanced scent.

If I were to compare this to a well known fragrance, I'd say it's similar to Obsession For Men by Calvin Klein.  It's less complex and spicy than Obsession For Men, but I like it a lot better.  Though I like Obsession For Men, it's a bit too sweet and syrupy for me, even though I like the woody and spicy notes it contains; the amber and cinnamon overwhelm the composition.  Indian Sandalwood Patchouli Extreme, by contrast, smells to me like a perfected Obsession For Men: warm but not overly sweet, with perfect blending of woody and aromatic facets.

I do have to say, however, that I don't find anything "extreme" about this scent at all.  I also don't find it all that woody either.  It has great longevity and it projects very well, but it's not a particularly aggressive scent.  And that's perfectly fine in my book.  I'd much rather wear a fragrance that is comfortable and well made than something that's simply strong and loud.  It's too well blended to be "extreme" or super woody.

Don't worry about this being a unisex scent.  It smells pretty damn masculine to me, even though it would also smell drop-dead sexy on a woman.  Fans of rich oriental fragrances should definitely go for it.  At $4.99 for a 10 ml. vial of fragrance oils, which should last a long time, you'd be an idiot not to give this a try. 

Check it out on Fruitful Oils' website: http://stores.fruitfuloils.com/-strse-205/INDIAN-SANDALWOOD-PATCHOULI-EXTREME/Detail.bok


MY RATING:  8/10

Fragrance House:  Fruitful Oils

No comments:

Post a Comment