Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Luno (knockoff of Polo Blue)

Polo Blue is not a favorite of mine, but it has a scent that I get in the mood to wear every once in a while.  However, I'm not willing to pay $40 for a bottle of something I'm not crazy about and which I may only crave two or three times a year.  It's knockoff time!

Luno, by Preferred Fragrances, Inc., is a knockoff of Polo Blue.  I think I paid $3 for this a year ago.  I bought it at Family Dollar.  It's a big bottle too - 4.2 ounces.  And it smells pretty good.

For those of you who have never tried Polo Blue, it's basically a woody citrus fragrance which tries to set itself apart from the competition with a cucumber top note.  I find the cucumber to be a gimmick, because it does little to enhance the fragrance and it can't hide the fact that Polo Blue is a dull, generic scent.  Despite this, Polo Blue does have a fresh crispness that I do like to smell every once in a while, mainly as a diversion from the heavier fragrances I usually wear.  This is why I bought a bottle of Luno.

I don't have a bottle of Polo Blue to compare Luno to, so I can't tell you whether Luno is an exact replica.  However, based on my memory, Luno hits all the same buttons as Polo Blue, and all the key notes - cucumber, citrus, woody notes - are in place and accounted for here.  The bottom line is that when I wear Luno, I feel like I'm wearing Polo Blue.

Luno is basically a pick-me-up fragrance for me, meaning I don't wear it as my "Scent of the Day", but rather as something to spray on when I'm just hanging out at home.  It's a brisk, refreshing scent that I like to throw on after taking a shower at night.  For three dollars, I can afford to buy a cologne to be used for such a limited purpose.

2 comments:

  1. Actually tried to find this one online but couldn't find it anywhere. I'll keep an eye out for it though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not surprised you couldn't find it online. I couldn't even find one photo of the bottle online, which is why I snapped the photo you see in the review.

    If you live in the US, check out your local Family Dollar store. They still have it in stock where I live.

    If you can't find it, try Classic Match's Polo Blue knockoff, which is just as good. They sell those at WalMart.

    ReplyDelete