Friday, January 20, 2012

Perry Ellis 360 For Men

Please don't ignore this review.   Keep reading it.  I know all of you have seen Perry Ellis 360 in stores selling for dirt cheap, and usually marked down to clearance prices.  You probably see it on the shelf over and over again and think, "Oh joy, another freakin' bottle of Perry Ellis.  Who the hell buys this?"  I know, because I used to say the same thing to myself for so many years, seeing this ugly blue bottle in the bargain bins of Marshalls and Filene's Basement stores since the 1990s. 

Have you ever taken the time to smell this?  If you haven't, you should.  You especially should if you love dry green woody scents.  Perry Ellis is doing this fragrance a disservice by coloring the juice blue, because this is not a weak-ass aquatic fragrance, as the color would suggest.  By coloring it blue, they're attracting the wrong customers and turning away the ones who would appreciate this scent. 

What they should have done is put this perfume in a dark green bottle with a tan colored cap, because those are the colors that come to mind when I smell this.  That's right - 360 is a crisp, very green, spicy woody scent.  And it's very good. 

The dominant smell is juniper, which smells particularly fresh and green because it's blended so well with lemon, cardamom and sage.  I love the smell of juniper, and here it gives the fragrance a coniferous smell, which is always a good thing in my book.  Fortunately the smell of juniper lasts a good hour or two, and it segues seamlessly to a warm woody base in the drydown.  I haven't been able to find out for sure what the notes are in the final stages of this fragrance, but I'm making an educated guess that it's cedar, vetiver and labdanum; I suspect that cedar provides freshness, vetiver provides the bitter edge, and labdanum smooths everything out with a nice green hue.  This fragrance is well constructed, never losing its green, woody aroma, and smelling great from beginning to end.

If you've ignored 360 For Men all this time, I can't blame you.  Hell, I've had a bottle in my collection for three years, and even I ignore it.  However, I shouldn't, and if you love green coniferous scents like I do, neither should you.  Give it a sniff.

MY RATING:  8/10

Fragrance House:  Perry Ellis

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for reviewing this, Shamu1!

    I have a well-used bottle i had relegated to storage over 6 years ago. Brought it out for a re-sniff and, wow! What a woody frag! I need to use this hidden gem more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not just woody but GREEN too! The silly packaging and blue juice made this a sure-fire loser for me, ujtil I actually smelled it. This is a winner that I need to wear more often than I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just received a bottle of Guy Laroche's Horizon, and I noticed that it actually reminds me a bit of 360. I did a spray of each frag on my wrists to do a side by side comparison. 360 is a bit brighter and more spicy, whereas Horizon is darker, more mossy, and has a bit more of an 80's aromatic dirtiness to it.

    ReplyDelete