Friday, January 6, 2012

Woods of Windsor For Gentleman

I owned a bottle of Woods of Windsor For Gentleman about ten years ago.  I remember it being dark and woody, in a formal, dressed-up, old-guard British style.  It was strong and assertive, and even though leather was not listed as an ingredient, its overall smell reminded me of the smell of old leather chairs, old leather bound books, etc..  It was a very good, and inexpensive, gentlemanly fragrance, even though I didn't feel very comfortable wearing it.  It always struck me as more suitable for a man over 40, and since I was only about 30 at the time, I felt a little green behind the ears to wear it.   I believe the fragrance was discontinued for a few years.

Woods of Windsor have since reissued this fragrance, with a new bottle and a new formula.  I can tell immediately upon first spritz that they changed the formula, because it starts off light and citrusy, rather than aggressive and woody like the original.  Give it a few minutes, though, because the scent starts to pull itself together and you can smell the old Gentleman coming back.  It's still woody and old-school, but I actually think this new version has more depth and is better balanced than before.  There's a green, spicy note in here that I can't identify and which I don't remember being in the original version, and it fits in with the scent very well, adding to its complexity and its spiciness. 

This new version is a little more leathery and it has a more well-rounded smell than before; whereas the original version attacked you with its wood and spice notes, the reissue lays it on more smoothly, but it still retains its old-guard, soldierly British style, which is a good thing.

Woods of Windsor For Gentleman may not be as strong as it used to be, but so what?  Less powerful doesn't always mean less good.  I think WoW have improved this fragrance, and now that I'm in my 40s, I feel more comfortable wearing it.  I'd love to buy a bottle.

MY RATING:  8/10

Fragrance House:  Woods of Windsor

No comments:

Post a Comment