Sunday, February 5, 2012

Jean Philippe Paris Lacoste Red (Knockoff of Lacoste Red)

When I started reviewing knockoff fragrances here, I didn't expect the level of enthusiasm you've expressed to me.  Apparently there is a demand for knockoff reviews.  You want knockoff reviews?  Here's another one to chew on.

This is a scent that demonstrates my point that knockoffs allow you to buy a fragrance that you may like, but don't love enough to pay full price for the real version.  If Lacoste Red smells anything like this knockoff, I would never pay full price for a bottle of the real thing.  However, JPP's Lacoste Red has a smell that I find pleasant and is something that I may get in the mood to wear a couple of times a year.  It's a simple sweet woody scent in the style of other "Red" fragrances from the Nineties like Xeryus Rouge (booo!!) and Jacomo Rouge, which means that it has a candied cherry-like sweetness underlying the woody smell.  It's a style I generally don't like, but every once in a while I get a hankering for it.  I've never smelled the original Lacoste Red, so I have no idea if this knockoff smells anything like it.

The problem with it is that it has horrendous staying power.  If I spray myself all over with this stuff, I can smell it for about a half hour, and then it's gone.  I can't say I'm surprised, since it's made by Jean Philippe Paris, maker of shit-can standby Chaz Classic, as well as other garbage fragrances.  They probably consulted whatever company made Macho Sport Splash, the Grand Poobah of watered down fragrances. 

I don't think I'm being harsh in criticizing this scent, even if it only costs a dollar for a big bottle.  I've bought and worn knockoffs that cost $2 a bottle which smell better and have much better staying power than this stuff.  JPP Lacoste Red does smell pretty good, however, so I guess if you're willing to pay a dollar for thirty minutes of sniffing pleasure, then by all means give it a shot.

Fragrance House:  Jean Philippe Paris

No comments:

Post a Comment