Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Lacivius

Alkemia Perfumes' fragrances continue to impress me.  It's obvious that they don't care about current perfume trends, and I get the sense that they simply make perfumes that they want to make. So far I've worn six of their fragrances, and out of those there was only one I don't like, and that's mainly due to my personal taste and not because it's a bad scent.  Lacivius is probably my favorite out of the six, and I've bought a full bottle of it, along with a bottle of Highwayman.

Alkemia on their site describes Lacivius as a sweaty, animalic, almost aphrodisiac scent, saying it's like the smell of sex.  Though I don't quite smell it that way, I think that's a good description of Lacivius.  I tend to wear animalic fragrances often, so Lacivius wasn't likely to shock me.  However, I do agree with Alkemia when they say that Lacivius is not for everyone.  Acqua di Gio-wearing jocks will have no use for this.

Lacivius is an oud fragrance with heavily musky overtones.  I'm not an oud fan, but this is really well done.  The oud note is up front and center, but not obnoxious.  It's warm and smooth, an effect which is aided by the musk with which it's blended.  I also smell patchouli here, which gives adds a welcome earthiness, complexity and a diversion from a note, oud, that can get tiresome to smell after a while.  The scent lasts for hours, and all the while it's constantly evolving.  For example, it will smell raunchy for 45 minutes, then smell dry and woody for an hour, then tart and cork-like, then it will smell like sweat, etc..  It's a fascinating scent that never gets boring.

Most importantly, Lacivius smells like passion.  Though it's not a loud fragrance, it's not a scent for someone who wants to just blend in and not be noticed.  It really does project a kind of hot blooded, sweaty, passionate attitude the whole time, so it succeeds in its stated purpose.  In that respect, Lacivius reminds me of Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent, even though it's not as loud as that.  This would be a fun and ironic fragrance to wear in a stuffy or conservative setting or occasion, like a business meeting or a fancy cocktail party. 

If you like daring, off-the-beaten-path fragrances, then you should definitely give Lacivius a try.  At only $12.00 for a bottle of unique and great smelling juice, you'll be kicking yourself in the ass if you don't get one and they run out of stock.

MY RATING:  8.5/10

Fragrance House:  Alkemia Perfumes 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Shamu I just received my sample order today and tried on Lacivius first since your review got me interested in the whole idea. I'm not sure if I'm applying enough or not. How strong did you find this oil? It smells almost menthol and medicinal to me (is this the oud? I only ever smelled TF Oud Wood and Joe Malone's Bergamot and Oud) but nothing really intense at all and not any kind of musk that I can reference (I know musk is kind of generic term for a wide range of scents from funky to fresh). Does it take a while to develop? I'm just getting that medicinal/herbal/menthol scent that most pure oil extracts have when you smell then straght from the bottle...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that medicinal smell you're getting is the oud. Oud can have a lot of different smells, based on the type and your skin, but I find it often smells medicinal.

    This is not a powerhouse fragrance. It's dirty and animalic, but not super strong. I find it lasts a long time, but it down blow down the doors of your house. Oils do need time to develop, because unlike EDTs or other spray fragrances, they depend on the warmth of your skin to develop. I'd give it about a half hour or so.

    Also, I find with oils that less is more. My recommendation is put the Lacivius aside for a few days. Don't even open the vial to smell it. After you've spent some time away from it, just put one drop on one of your wrists, press your two wrists together and hold them still for about a half minute, then gently spread the oil up and down your forearms with your wrists. I think you'll find it projects and smells better this way, plus you'll be able to smell it on yourself for a lot longer. Oils are worn a lot differently than mainstream perfumes.

    ReplyDelete