Saturday, February 18, 2012

Lauder For Men

The mere fact that Estee Lauder has the sack to keep this fragrance in production today makes me an automatic fan of the company.  Do you hate aquatic fragrances?  Do today's "woody spicy" scents put you to  sleep?  Does Montale's announcement of another oud fragrance for the week make you want to put your fist through a wall?  Do you like old-school scents?  If you answered yes to all of those questions, then Lauder For Men is a fragrance you at least need to try.

Lauder For Men not only flips the bird to all of today's fragrance trends, but it was even an anomaly at the time it was released in 1985.  In terms of power and strength, Lauder For Men fits right in with all the other 80s scents - it's a powerhouse.  However, when most men's fragrances during the Eighties were loaded to the max with leather and oakmoss, Lauder For Men bucked that trend and came on the scene with a smell that was a throwback to the green floral chypres of the Sixties and Seventies.

People who can't stand this old French classic style call it the "old lady perfume" smell.  I call it freaking awesome.  Lauder For Men smells bitter, dry, green and floral.  If you've ever worn Boucheron Pour Homme (an old favorite of mine), it smells similar to that.  Pushing this even further into the old-school camp is the fact that underlying the strong chypre structure is a dirty, waxy, semi-B.O. smell.  It's kind of a naughty smell, and it adds tons of character and depth to the fragrance.  I like that.  I know I don't smell like an old lady when I wear Lauder For Men.

Lauder For Men smells daring and ballsy nowadays.  No designer or niche brand has the huevos to release a new fragrance that smells this old-school.   Its brightness and dryness give this scent an almost Mediterranean charm.  This is a man's fragrance.  I think it's most appropriate for a guy who has a certain savoir-faire, sophistication and maturity, not some clown who spends his weekends funneling beers and doing keg stands. 

MY RATING:  8.5/10

Fragrance House:  Estee Lauder

5 comments:

  1. It's been 25 years since I wore this and your review prompted me to buy a bottle online today (along with a bottle of Moods. Good stuff and I look forward one day hopefully to reading your review of another Estee Lauder oldie, the discontinued Metropolis? Great site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately I've never tried Metropolis, and not sure I ever will. I've heard only good things about Metropolis. Great name for a fragrance too.

    Good choice with the Krizia Moods. If you've seen my review of it here, you'll know that it's one of my all time favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you!
      Thanks a lot,.

      Follow me.jamesvictoria59@gmail.com
      Men and Women Perfume
      More information:
      Mens Fragrance

      Delete
  3. Is this a review of the vintage formulation?

    ReplyDelete