Saturday, March 31, 2012

British Sterling

If you’ve read my blog for any more than a week, it’s obvious that I love old classic fragrances – English Leather, Eau Sauvage, Brut, The Baron, Old Spice, etc..  Not only do I love them, but I WEAR them, and I wear them often.  However, I don’t like all of these old warhorses. 

I don’t like British Sterling. I bought a gift set for cheap a couple of years ago, the one with the cologne and aftershave, and I’ve never warmed up to this scent.  The only good thing I can say about it is that it smells crisp in the beginning, and it’s unlike anything else I’ve smelled. 

Unfortunately, it’s not unique in a good way.  When I open up the cap, just about all I smell is nutmeg and alcohol, and it’s a nasty combination.  For some reason I always think of Vaseline and dirty rags used to change oil in a car when I smell British Sterling.  It smells both dusty and medicinal at once, and it smells cheap.  As the scent mellows, it becomes very powdery, but the nutmeg holds on, and the combination of talc and nutmeg is not something I want to smell like.  There’s some undefinable, synthetic wood smell creeping around way off in the background in this, but it’s not enough to rescue this scent.

Yes, British Sterling is old-school to the core.  But that doesn’t make it a good fragrance.  Its biggest flaw at the end of the day is that it’s boring.  It smells flat and characterless, even depressing at times.  It’s a fragrance that smells like it was just thrown together by an amateur, with no concern for blending or charm. 

British Sterling isn't quite a terrible fragrance, but it doesn't deserve to sit at the head table with Old Spice and Brut.  If British Sterling were a guest at a wedding, he'd be seated at the so-called "Loser Table", with all the guests who were invited only because the family felt obligated to invite them.

MY RATING:  4/10

Fragrance House:  Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment