Sunday, March 11, 2012

Grafton

I think I referred to Grafton in an earlier post I’d written about another Truefitt & Hill scent, calling it superb or excellent.  Although Grafton certainly isn’t a bad fragrance, I’m finding that  I like it less every time I smell it.  I’ve had a bottle sitting under my bed for months without my wearing it, and today I finally wore it.  I'm not really impressed.

If you've ever worn Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent, then you've got a good idea of what Grafton is like.  It's an aromatic fougere that is very spicy and woody, just like Jazz is.  In fact, it smells almost identical to Jazz at first sniff, except that it totally lacks the sparkle that made Jazz great.  Also unlike Jazz, it has a really rigid, formal feel that is common in a lot of old British-styled men's colognes.  Jazz is a dazzling scent.  Grafton just kind of mopes around on your skin, throwing off uninspired dry green wood and spicy notes, like it's going through the motions.  Jazz feels fresh and new every time you wear it.  Grafton smells tired and recycled, and boring as shit.

Its drydown is pretty good, with some nice spicy bite from patchouli and sandalwood in the base notes.  Unfortunately these aromatic thrills are merely sporadic, and they never lift Grafton above being just a pretty good fragrance.

At $75 a bottle, this represents terrible value.  You'd be much better off getting a big 100 ml. bottle of Jazz, which is a far superior scent, for half that price.

MY RATING:  6.5/10

Fragrance House:  Truefitt & Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment