Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Bogart Pour Homme

I've written reviews of Bogart Pour Homme many times, in different forums.  I've had a bottle of this in my collection now for about two years, and I think it's time for a new review.  Put simply, I don't like this fragrance as much as I used to.

Have you ever heard the phrase, "You don't wear this perfume - it wears you"?  I swear that phrase could have been created for Bogart Pour Homme.  I love strong scents, but even this one is too much for me.  It's not even that it's too strong.  The problem with Bogart Pour Homme is that its scent never really evolves, so all you smell for the 48 hours it's on your skin is power, power, power.  You can only take so much before it feels like you're being tortured.

This makes it a difficult fragrance to assess unless you own a bottle of it.  Spraying Bogart Pour Homme on your hand and sniffing it certainly won't give you an accurate read on it, and even wearing it a couple of times doesn't quite prepare you for the long term redundancy of this scent, even if you're a powerhead like me. 

This is a shame, because Bogart Pour Homme does smell really good.  It's a powerhouse tobacco and patchouli atomic bomb, with a touch of amber and vanilla to take a little bit of the aromatic edge off and to help round out the smell.  It has sledgehammer-like power and sillage. 

The problem is that even if you love the way Bogart smells, it gets extremely tiresome to smell this exact same accord for hours, and hours, and hours, and hours...  It never changes, and after the first couple of hours of wearing it, I find myself wishing the scent would evolve, even just a little.  Even if it merely quieted down some after, oh, eight hours, I'd be able to enjoy this more. 

As it stands now, my nose and my brain take a major pounding every time I wear this, and it just isn't fun anymore.

MY RATING:  7/10

Fragrance House:  Jacques Bogart

5 comments:

  1. I tend to wear this on nights out when I'll only be wearing it for 2-3 hours. I tend to get a slight softening 7-8hrs in when the vanilla takes over a bit but it's not significant enough to stop it being an olfactory air-raid siren!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this problem with Lapidus Pour Homme too. The notes seem to mass together and after a while it's almost like your nose starts to hurt! LOL. I wish I understood why this happens. Is it low quality ingredients? Is it the way it's blended? Even though I like the smell of this one and the Lapidus, I find Kouros more wearable, because there is better note separation, apparently, even though I don't like the Kouros scent nearly as much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually like fragrances where you can't easily distinguish the individual notes. To me that tells me that it's well blended, more of an actual composition rather than a showcase of individual notes. I see where you're coming from regarding Lapidus; you're right, it is a hard one to cull out the separate notes, except for the patchouli, which I find to be pretty strong. Lapidus is at about the same level of strength as Bogart, but it actually evolves over time, unlike Bogart. I much prefer Lapidus because it's less sweet, and a lot ore interesting of a scent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. bigslyfragrance, funny you mentioned Lapidus. Maurice Roucel was the creator of both. I disagree that Bogart doesn't evolve. When I first apply it, yes it kicks you in the balls with tobacco cherry bomb. But when it settles it turns into ROSES for me.

    Lapidus is more linear to me, burst of vanilla powder and then just settles. very pleasant.

    It took some time for me to appreciate these fragrances.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice frag. Got me a compliment from a co-worker recently, and he wanted me to write down the name so he could get some. I like this one, and don't find it overbearing at all.

    ReplyDelete