Sunday, April 15, 2012

Lalique Pour Homme

Just as oud and patchouli have been beaten to death by niche fragrance brands, in the designer world cedar has been the dead horse in masculine perfumes for at least the past ten years.  Cedar, along with cardamom, has become for the 2000s what the synthetic "marine" note was in the 1990s, and I've reached the limit of my patience with all these cedar-dominant perfumes. I like the smell of cedar wood by itself, but when it comes to cedar fragrances it's gotten to the point where I can't stand the smell of them anymore. I'm actually considering revising my review of Quorum Silver and knocking a point or two off the rating I gave it.

Lalique Pour Homme is considered a classic by many people, but not in my book. I have to admit that I perceive it differently than most people do, because I fail to smell any complexity in this fragrance. To me, Lalique Pour Homme is nothing but a boring cedar fragrance, with a little bit of vanilla or tonka bean added to sweeten it. It's a smell I've encountered what seems to be a million times before, and I'm sick of it. It's certainly not a bad smell, and I'm not sure if Lalique were one of the first brands to do it, but I can't take it anymore.

Other reviewers have written about Lalique Pour Homme's different phases and facets, but I just don't smell them. This is a short review because I find this scent absurdly simplistic and catatonically dull. It's the epitome of an "office scent", a term perfume enthusiasts use as a veiled criticism of fragrances that are tear-inducingly boring but won't offend anyone. 

I have nothing else to say about this fragrance, except that I don't like it. 

MY RATING:  5/10

Fragrance House:  Lalique

5 comments:

  1. I call it 'Manly Hamster. Kickin' it up in the cage.' Strong cedar, rounded off on the edges, and unfortunately as you say, ubiquitous in men's cologne these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Ha! "Manly Hamster"!! I wish I could take credit for that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never got cedar with this, but rather sandalwood. On Fragrantica's list of notes, cedar is not mentioned, but sandalwood is. Two kinds of recent woody notes irritate me, iso e super and that "hamster cage" cedar, neither of which I get with LPH. Could it have been reformulated? My bottle is at least 3 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No idea which version I wore. A fellow Basenoter sent me a sample, so I can't say. I wish I smelled sandalwood; I think I would like it better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sprayed some out of my bottle right after I wrote up the last comment. At first there is a strong accord of rosemary, grapefruit, and the floral elements. After an hour or so, it settles down into a well balanced fragrance (not too much patchouli and not too sweet, thankfully), with a clear but mild sandalwood note. He may have sent you the Equus version of LPH, which does have an obvious cedar note (though not as strong as most other recent woody men's fragrances). I think you would like LPH (Lion) because it is "old school" in style but more subtle. If you'd like to swap a few samples, I could send you samples of these two so you can see the difference. The batch code on mine is 1H08.

    ReplyDelete