Friday, April 20, 2012

Palais Jamais


I used to own a bottle of Palais Jamais about a year ago, and was impressed with it when I first wore it.  It didn't take very long though before I became bored with it, and I swapped it within a couple of weeks of buying it.  This is an incredibly dull scent.

What you have here is a quiet, extremely dry sage and tea-scented fragrance.  It's certainly unique, with its transparent, pale, low-key herbal simmer, sort of like a mute Yatagan.  It purrs along for hours at a low-frequency hum, and that's what impressed me when I first got my bottle. It definitely deserves points for being different.

The problem with Palais Jamais is that it's got no soul.  It smells like a dead fragrance, like a body with no blood running through it.  It doesn't evolve much at all, simply droning along with its olive-gray bleakness for hours and hours.  During the three or four times I wore Palais Jamais, I couldn't wait to hop in the shower and wash it off, it was so boring.  If it weren't for that, I probably would have fallen asleep.

To be fair, I have to say that Palais Jamais is definitely worth checking out if you like quiet herbal fragrances and want something unusual.  I have to respect this for its uniqueness and refusal to follow any fragrance trends.  Bravo for that.  However, I don't like it at all.

MY RATING:  6/10

Fragrance House:  Etro

No comments:

Post a Comment