Saturday, April 7, 2012

Royal Copenhagen

I've been wearing Royal Copenhagen sporadically for the past 15 years, and every time I wear it, I like it even more. It's never been something I wear very often, but that doesn't make it any less good. Royal Copenhagen is more a victim of the size of my fragrance collection, and it gets lost in the shuffle.

This scent is so old school, you'd be wasting your time even sampling it if you hate powdery colognes. It's a floral oriental scent, but unlike most orientals, it smells crisp and not particularly sweet. Strong lavender in the opening gives the scent a nice snap, while floral notes give it the old guard powdery smell. The sweet amber in the bottom end doesn't even rear its head until a few hours into your wearing this, and the sweetness is merely subtle. That's a good thing, because I can't stand powdery fragrances that are super sweet.

What I really love about Royal Copenhagen is that it uses a skanky smelling musk to give a dirty, animalic facet to the scent. This adds welcome complexity and a masculine, even daring, edge to what would have otherwise been a stuffy cologne.

My favorite aspect of Royal Copenhagen is how it blends dry, crisp smells with powdery and sweet notes so well. This is a hard feat to pull off, mixing polar opposite smells like this, but whoever composed Royal Copenhagen did so masterfully. The crisp lavender hangs on for a very long time, and blended with the floral powdery notes, it fits right in to the marketed image of a schooner at sea. Yes, for me Royal Copenhagen succeeds in making me think of the ocean when I wear it. It's not that it smells salty or watery, but the lavender and powder together create this cold, slate-colored starkness in the fragrance that smells oceanic to me.  I wore Royal Copenhagen today when I took my dog for a walk on the beach, and it suited the occasion perfectly.

I need to say something about the current version of this. Royal Copenhagen is an old fragrance from 1970, and much has been said about how this has been reformulated many times. The biggest complaint I hear is that the current stuff, made by Five Star Fragrances Co., is so weak. I've never smelled any of the early versions of this, but I can't imagine anyone thinking this current version is weak. In fact, I find it very strong, and I'm actually careful in how much I put on. I'm wearing this right now, having put on four sprays eight hours ago, and it's still going strong. I've always gotten 12+ hours of longevity from my bottle of wimpy reformulated Royal Copenhagen.

This is a winner all the way, and is a must-have for any fan of old-school masculines.

MY RATING: 8.5/10

Fragrance House:  Royal Copenhagen


4 comments:

  1. As I said in my Fragrantica review: "I don't see a direct connection with Old Spice, other than that there are many 'men's' fragrances that have at least a few things in common. Specifically, OS has a dry, patchouli and wood accord that is not present here, and it's also got anise up top, which is also missing here. Both are a bit too blended for my tastes." Could you be more specific about why you think they are so similar? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey i wanna buy this perfume. my friend gifted me but now i am unable to find this product. will u please help me to buy this? is this product has any official website, where i can buy it. please help me to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out FragranceX.com. I hear they ship worldwide. Here's the link:

    http://www.fragrancex.com/products/_lid_R-am-pid_1127M-am-cid_Cologne__products.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you try both the spray and the splash of the Royal Copenhagen cologne? There's another blogger who didn't like the splash but really enjoyed the spray (atomizer) version. I purchased Royal Copenhagen several decades ago and wasn't that thrilled with it, but after getting into wet shaving, I recently purchased the aftershave and have found a new appreciation for the barber shop scents. Royal Copenhagen aftershave is a richer smelling version of Aqua Velva Ice Blue, and I'm assuming the cologne is more complicated with middle and base notes.

    ReplyDelete