Saturday, May 5, 2012

Brooks Brothers For Men

More old-school excellence from Brooks Brothers here, even though it doesn't quite reach the greatness of their 1818 cologne.  I believe this has been reissued as "Brooks Brothers Classic", but if I'm wrong about this, please leave a comment below and correct me.  Assuming they're both the same fragrance, I read a review by Luca Turin whereby he called this a mishmash of every masculine fragrance cliche of the past twenty years.  I don't agree.  Granted, I wouldn't call Brooks Brothers For Men unique, but it's far from generic, especially today. 

If anything, it's a throwback scent.  It smells a lot like a less intense Safari For Men, or a much better composed Grafton (Truefitt & Hill).  It's leathery, spicy and somewhat sweet, with a clean undertone of shaving cream, which I'm starting to believe is a trademark of Brooks Brothers' colognes.  Prim, proper and even aristocratic, Brooks Brothers For Men exudes a stiff-upper-lip formality that is characteristic of classic English fragrances like Woods of Windsor For Gentleman and Curzon (Geo. F. Trumper), though it doesn't really smell like either of those.  In other words, it smells like old money.

This doesn't mean you have to be a polo-playing blueblood to wear this.  Because it's so classic and well composed, it's a fragrance that's pretty versatile, even though I do think it fits best in situations where you're not dressed in a football shirt and a baseball cap.  It's a fragrance with credibility, though it's not going to give you credibility if you're already lacking it.

Thumbs up.

MY RATING:  8/10

Fragance House:  Brooks Brothers

2 comments:

  1. I, too, have always seen the similarities between this and Safari. I like and have and wear them both. The BB is a little more austere while I always think of Safari as a borderline powerhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you also look at Safari as a powerhouse. I definitely consider it to be one. I don't know if it's my skin that makes it project into the next state, but I've actually read a lot of reviews saying it's a "subtle" scent. Huh?!

    ReplyDelete