Saturday, May 26, 2012

Capucci Pour Homme - Revised Review

When I reviewed Capucci Pour Homme a couple of weeks ago, I was reviewing it off a generous sample I got from a fellow Basenoter.  Since then, I've bought a full bottle, and I now have a different take on this scent.  I like it even more than I did before.

First off, this does not smell like a mishmash of classic citruses.  Instead, it smells almost like a clone of the great Chanel Pour Monsieur.  Like the Chanel, Capucci is a pure chypre in every way - green, fresh, bitter, with a bit of sweet and sour tartness in the base from the blending of oakmoss and cistus labdanum.  This is very old school in style, and in fact I expect that a lot of people, outside of France, would call it outdated. 

Also like Chanel Pour Monsieur, this smells very classic French in style to me, even though it's an Italian fragrance.  When I think of classic Italian styled perfumes, I think of sunny, bright citrus like orange and lemon, blended with herbal and pine notes - great classic fragrances like Pino Silvestre and Aqua Classica di Borsari come to mind.  Capucci isn't really like that.  This has the so-called "old lady chypre" smell - mossy green with bitter herbal notes.  It's classic French all the way, and in fact shares many facets more common in French feminine perfumes than men's fragrances.

My only complaint with this scent is its poor sillage.  It really sticks close to your skin.  I need to spray the hell out this all over my body in order to smell it on myself for more than two hours.

Despite this one and only complaint, I consider Capucci Pour Homme to be an essential staple in my collection.  The fact that it costs about one-fourth the price of a bottle of Chanel Pour Monsieur (which I also own) certainly doesn't hurt either.

MY RATING:  9/10

Fragrance House:  Roberto Capucci

5 comments:

  1. I agree: great scent, very poor sillage. You must try Homme de Gres if you like these kinds of fragrances. The balance is just right, with excellent note contrast and just enough complexity. Lauder for Men has nice balance too, but HdG has a sharpness and clarity to it that is consistent with the dry, green, outdoorsy theme of these kinds of fragrances (without being too harsh).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you mention HdG. A basenoter recently gave me a sample (along with the Capucci) of it, so I have it on my lineup for sampling and reviewing. I haven't even opened the vial yet to take a sniff, but I will. I ca't imagine not liking it, after all the good reviews I've read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wore Capucci when I was in my late teens in the late 1970's. I loved it then and I am ready to once again buy myself a bottle. Is it possible that it is about the same price 30 years later? Funny you should compare it to Chanel Pour Monsieur, I always likened it as a mens version of Chanel Cristalle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have any idea what this cost back in the Seventies, but I doubt it would have been cheaper than it is now, considering inflation. I got my 100 ml. bottle recently for about $25 US. Can't beat that.

    I agree with the similarities to Cristalle as well. It's got a certain citrusy sharpness that Cristalle has but Chanel PM does not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. IS THERE ANYONE HERE KNOW WHERE I CAN BUY GENUINE capucci pour homme. THERE ARE MANY YEARS I AM LOOKING FOR THIS BUT ALL I GOT WAS FAKE.
    THANKS.

    ReplyDelete