Saturday, May 5, 2012

Skin Bracer


How many of you have passed over this supermarket dinosaur, assuming that only old geezers with bad taste wear Skin Bracer?  If you're one of those people, and you enjoy old-style classic colognes, you're making a mistake.  I know because I used to be one of those people. 

Skin Bracer may only be a utilitarian aftershave, but Mennen actually put some time and care into making sure it smells good.  I can assure you that it smells a lot better than its $6.00 price tag (for a 7 ounce bottle, by the way) might suggest.  Obviously it contains a lot of synthetic ingredients - its intense green color looks like mouthwash - but they manage to work really well in this scent. 

Skin Bracer smells both green and super powdery at once, with no top notes to speak of - there's lavender in this, but it's blended right into its warm, vanillic heart.  Everything is very well balanced in Skin Bracer, and the vanilla drydown never gets overly sweet.  Here's a rare example of how a perfume's powdery aspect actually tones down its sweetness and balances it out perfectly.  Powder and sweetness is usually hell on earth for me, but with Skin Bracer it works.

As for its performance as an aftershave, it's one of the better ones I've tried.  It certainly does tighten up your skin, giving it that polished piston look.  It has menthol in it, which makes it feel cool when you slap it on your face.  I get no burning sensation when I use it, only coolness.  The combination of cooling sensation with the warm smell makes this a particularly enjoyable aftershave to use.

It projects tremendous sillage when you first slap it on, but within a few minutes it becomes a very close-wearing scent.  Its discreet projection is an asset - this is such a straightforward fragrance, so much that it would smell completely obnoxious if it had powerhouse strength.  My only gripe with Skin Bracer is its poor longevity.  It is only an aftershave, after all.  With liberal application, I can smell this on myself for four hours, tops.  On the other hand, it's so cheap you can afford to keep re-applying it during the day.  Like a classic eau de cologne, its discreet nature fortunately makes it a fragrance you can re-apply without getting tired of it.

There's no reason not to add this to your collection, if you're a fan of old-school scents.

MY RATING:  7.5/10

Fragrance House:  Mennen

4 comments:

  1. Skin Brader is listed as a Fresh Fougere by Leffingwell, on their masculine fragrances chart. For some reason I get tons of mint out of it. Great review, this scent is vastly under-appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seem to be in a minority of those who don't smell mint in SB. Just about all the reviews mention menthol or mint, but I just don't smell it. I think I'm simply anosmic to it in this context. If they made an EDT of this, I'd definitely buy it and wear it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's actually the weirdest rendition of mint I've come across in a long time. It's like they took half of how mint smells and put it in there - the sweet part. The more bitter "green" aspect of mint was left out of it. If they made an EDT in glass I'd definitely be wearing it on a weekly basis.

      Delete
  3. Great review of one my all time fav after shave scents! On the notes, I definitely get the mint & menthol, not so much the vanilla. But the one scent I seem to pick up is anise (black licorice) - seems strong to me, but maybe that's just me.

    ReplyDelete