Monday, June 18, 2012

Patchouli Leaves

As most of you probably know by now, patchouli is my favorite smell.  I have tried and owned countless patchouli-heavy fragrances, so I do have some background in this subgenre of perfume.  Though Patchouli Leaves isn't the worst patchouli fragrance I've ever tried (that award goes to Parfums de Nicolai's awful Patchouli Homme), I have no hesitation in saying that it's the most overrated.

I hate this fragrance.  Though I do smell patchouli in Patchouli Leaves, it takes a back seat to a sickening dose of amber and vanilla.  I can't even tell if it uses high quality patchouli oil because the patchouli is drowned in so much amber and vanilla.  The sweetness is unrelenting and truly stomach-wrenching from start to finish, flattening all of the patchouli's inherent earthiness and complexity.  In other words, it defeats the whole point of a patchouli scent.

I probably wouldn't have such an extreme negative opinion of this if only it didn't have the word "Patchouli" in its name.  Actually, this isn't a bad oriental amber fragrance, if you like that kind of thing.  I can't stand amber-driven fragrances for the most part, so this one's a first class loser in my book.

If you love sweet patchouli-tinged oriental perfumes, then by all means give Patchouli Leaves a sniff.  It certainly has a lot of fans.  Just don't tell me this wimpy thing is a hardcore patchouli fragrance, because it's not.

MY RATING:  5/10

Fragrance House:  Montale

1 comment:

  1. I tried Patchouli Leaves and it's just plain awful!

    ReplyDelete