Friday, June 29, 2012

Pleasures For Men


Like Eternity For Men and Cool Water, Pleasures For Men is another fragrance that perfume enthusiasts love to trash.  That's because at the time it was released (1997), it was a clone of a hundred other designer "sport" fragrances that were popular at that time.   A lot of people hate Pleasures For Men.  I know I hated it when I tried it back in the 90's.  I thought it was a pointless piece of shit.

However, that was then, and this is now.  Nowadays, fifteen years later, a lot of those old sport fragrances smell pretty good, and I would go so far as to say that some of them even smell dated now.  Sport fragrances are still being cranked out by the designer brands, but they don't smell like what they did back in the mid-Nineties.  These days, sport fragrances smell woody, fresh and fruity, and are boring as shit.  They make me kind of miss the old 90s styled lavender/moss/gray citrus smell of the old dogs like Polo Sport and Claiborne Sport.  Accordingly, Pleasures For Men is a nice change of pace for me.

I love this fragrance.  What it does is fine-tune and perfect the Nineties sport fragrance style.  Granted, I'll admit that Pleasures For Men wasn't unique when it was released in 1997, and it smells a little dated today.  However, I consider it to be a perfected, much more refined relative of Polo Sport, another whipping post for perfume snobs.  I've always liked Polo Sport, but it's a loud, crude fragrance with a lot of rough edges.  Pleasures For Men took Polo Sport's burly lavender and gray citrus accord, smoothed it out and restrained it. 

What you're left with is a beautiful, transparent and cool woody lavender scent that can be worn on any occasion.  It has a superb, very natural smelling nectarine note in the opening, which segues seamlessly into the main accord of smooth lavender, wood and moss.  Unlike Polo Sport, Pleasures has a wonderfully diffuse and transparent feel to it, which lightens the scent and makes it so comfortable to wear.

I can't always wear swagger fragrances.  Sometimes I don't want my cologne to sport an attitude.  Sometimes I just want to smell good, nothing more, nothing less.  On those days, Pleasures For Men is just right.

MY RATING:  8/10

Fragrance House:  Estee Lauder

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete