Sunday, July 15, 2012

Aspen


Aspen is basically a poor man's Cool Water, but please don't take that as a criticism.  This is a fresh 90's styled aromatic fougere, and a quick sniff will convince you initially that it's nothing more than a cheaper, less complex version of Cool Water.  I love Cool Water and prefer it to Aspen, but after several wearings I realized that Aspen has its own interesting twist on the genre that is very enjoyable.

The opening and middle stages of Aspen smell to me identical to Cool Water - basically a very fresh, crisp and invigorating accord of citrus and lavender, segueing into the heart of green leafy notes and dihydromyrcenol, which is a watery, greyish smelling synthetic citrus material that was used heavily in fresh fougeres like Green Irish Tweed and Cool Water.  I've read many reviews that mention the smell of "foresty" notes like pine and cedar in Aspen, but sadly I seem to be the only person who can't detect them.  I must be anosmic to them.

The part I love about Aspen is the drydown, and it's what separates it from Cool Water.  It smells intensely green, but not green as in the smell of fresh basil or pine needles.  What I smell is a wonderfully hazy green smell, like the grassy smell of clover with a touch of lime-like sweetness, likely achieved by the presence of amber in the base of this fragrance.  Lovely moss notes add to the fresh green smell and tie everything together.  I get that same wonderful green hazy smell from the drydowns of  other fragrances like Tsar and Caswell-Massey's Greenbriar, and it's what drives me to wear them. 

Aspen probably will never replace Cool Water in my wardrobe, but I still enjoy wearing it, and the price certainly can't be beat.  If you plan on buying Aspen, be sure to buy the gift set that comes with the aftershave lotion, as it's just about the same price as the bottle of cologne by itself, and the aftershave simply adds to the whole experience of wearing Aspen.

MY RATING:  8/10

Fragrance House:  Coty

6 comments:

  1. Brilliant review. It definitely has that hazy green mossy thing going on in the drydown. One of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was one of my early signature frags when I was 22 or so...I may need to revisit it since I can't quite get into Cool Water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know. I think if Cool Water doesn't light your fire, I doubt Aspen will either. I happen to love CW, so Aspen appeals to me. The two are so similar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aspen, along with Coty's Wild Woods, are my favorite cheapies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Wild Woods. You're right, that is a good one! It's a very good sandalwood scent, and I've been meaning to review it for a while. I need to put that on my "To Write" list.

      Delete