Monday, July 23, 2012

Chrome

After a couple of years of hating this, I'm back on the Chrome bandwagon.  I've flip-flopped over Chrome since first smelling it several years ago.  I remember the time it first came out.  Although it wasn't the style of fragrance I typically wore, I liked its clean, fresh smell, and found it unique.  Of course, since that time it's inspired many clones, but it was original when it was released and it became a trend setter.

A few years ago, I bought myself a bottle.  It didn't take long for me to get tired of it, to the point where I couldn't stand even thinking of Chrome.  To me it smelled like shampoo and laundry detergent, and I put my bottle away in storage, not to see the light of day for a couple of years.  Just last week I blew the dust off my bottle and sprayed some on my arm.  I don't know, maybe it's because it's summer time, the perfect time of year to wear Chrome, but it strikes me the way it first did many years ago, and I like it again.

Chrome is a powdery, musky citrus fragrance with a delightfully fresh, breezy smell.  It has an underlying scent that smells metallic to most people - ergo, the "Chrome" name - but to me it smells aldehydic, even greasy, not metallic, and it gives Chrome an interesting salty, mineralic smell that adds to its fresh character.  Chrome doesn't evolve much, staying pretty linear from beginning to end.  However, the sandalwood in the base becomes prominent during the drydown, and is yet another part of the scent that I really enjoy; it gives the fragance a great aromatic, spicy smell that both contrasts and works with its fresh character.  Because I still remember Chrome from when it was first released, and because I don't own anything else that smells like it, I find Chrome to be unique.

Chrome needs to be applied cautiously.  Although it's a light scent, it has amazing tenacity, and it projects strongly.  If you overspray, it will make you smell like shampoo and laundry detergent.

All in all, I'm glad to be enjoying Chrome all over again, especially during this time of year.

MY RATING:  8/10

Fragrance House:  Azzaro

2 comments:

  1. Funny, but Chrome is about the only aquatic-type scent that I like. I resisted getting it for quite a while for all of the usual reasons but I have a small bottle that I occasionally use when I'm in the rare mood for such a fragrance. Somehow it manages to handle the white musk better than, say, Touch for Men.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. I don't wear it very often, but sometimes I have a craving for the freshness, and Chrome is satisfying in its simplicity.

    ReplyDelete