Sunday, July 29, 2012

McGregor

Do any of you remember Portos by Balenciaga?  It was a big hairy powerhouse from 1980 that was discontinued many years ago.  I had a bottle a long time ago, and haven't smelled it since the early 90's, but when I first wore McGregor, I instantly thought "Portos!".  The similarity between the two is striking, and those of you who lament the discontinuation of Portos would do well to try McGregor.  McGregor also reminds me a lot of Marbert Man, and I don't think it's any coincidence that Portos' bottle looks almost exactly like Marbert Man's.

It may have an innocuous name and packaging, but McGregor is anything but an innocuous fragrance.  This is a thick, heavy 70's styled power monster.  It smells dated - definitely of the 70's herbal fougere ilk - and if you don't wear powerhouse scents on a regular basis, you'll probably think it smells outdated.  On the other hand, any real fan of powerhouse frags won't give a damn about that.  I certainly don't.

How can I describe this to those who've never smelled Portos or Marbert Man?  First off, I'll say that it is a heavy herbal leather scent or, to describe it in other terms, an ultra-leathery aromatic fougere.  Granted, McGregor came out in the early 80's and it packs some serious heat with its heavy leather base, but the superstrong herbal smell on top of all the leather and moss make this smell a lot more like a 70's powerscent than one from the 80's.  Whatever it is, McGregor is some strong stuff, and it sports an attitude.

It's a complex scent, and much better composed than its low price would lead you to believe; sometimes the leather and patchouli dominate and it reminds me of Polo, while other times the herbal and mossy facets smell prominent and it smells a lot like Sung Homme. 

What never recedes, however, is its balls-out swagger and smell.  I get the sense McGregor was designed for kind of guy who thinks he's Burt Reynolds.  This is not for the kind of guy who waxes his chest or eats quiche and salad.  No, this was meant for machos who love to show off their chest hair and eat fried egg and bacon sandwiches.  I don't idolize Burt Reynolds, and I like quiche, but I still like wearing McGregor anyway.  I'm in my forties and I've got some silver hair, so I think I can pull it off.

McGregor was a really pleasant surprise for me.  Its 1982 birth year was encouraging, but I couldn't find any reviews of this, so I didn't know what to expect.  I'm impressed.  Fans of powerhouse frags, and especially those who like Portos, should definitely check out this unrefined bastard of a scent.

MY RATING:  8.5/10

Fragrance House:  Faberge

No comments:

Post a Comment