Sunday, July 1, 2012

Nautica Competition

Regarding some of my negative reviews, a few of you have asked me, "If you hate this fragrance so much, why did you give it a 2 out of 10 rating, instead of 1 out of 10?"  My answer is this: a fragrance that merits a 1 rating is a special fragrance.  Even some of the most vile perfumes I've tried, if I can find even one positive thing to say about them, won't get a 1.  A rating of 1 therefore is reserved for only those scents truly at the very bottom of the barrel.  I'm talking about fragrances I can't say a single positive thing about.  I'm talking about garbage like Nautica Competition.

Nautica Competition represents everything that is wrong with the sport fragrance genre, which is a lot.  Generic, synthetic, tired, boring, trite, fresh, uninspired, etc., are all words that describe this fragrance well.  Nautica Competition smells like a conglomerate of the worst of the fresh/aquatic/sports fragrances - e.g., Nautica Voyage, Light Blue, Chrome, Wings For Men, Acqua di Gio, etc. all rolled into one.  The opening momentary blast of citrus and juniper is the only stage of the fragrance that smells even remotely natural, so you'd better enjoy all three minutes of it while you can.  That's because after that, everything dries down to a nasty accord of Calone, white laundry musk and Clorox bleach.

I don't think there's anything more I can say about this hateful juice.  It joins the honored ranks of Beverly Hills Polo Club Classic, Patchouli Homme and Wings For Men as being one of the few fragrances I've given a well-deserved 1 out of 10 rating to.  This is a total piece of shit!

MY RATING:  1/10

Fragrance House:  Nautica

No comments:

Post a Comment