Monday, July 16, 2012

Jordan


Now here's something I rarely encounter in men's fragrances: a floral spicy scent.  Despite the light blue tint of the bottle and the clear juice, Jordan is far from being an aquatic, "blue" or "ice" fragrance.  In fact, I wouldn't even call this a sport fragrance.  If it weren't for the Michael Jordan name brand, I couldn't imagine many jocks wanting to wear something like this.  This could just as easily be a woman's fragrance as a man's.

Jordan tends to fly under people's radars, probably because it's a quiet and safe scent that won't offend anyone, but I like it.  Just because something is inoffensive, that doesn't automatically mean it's uninteresting; a fragrance doesn't have to melt steel to be interesting.  Look at Eau Sauvage, for example.

A lot of the reviews I've read compare this to Chrome.  Chrome is a terrible fragrance, and I smell almost no similarities to that piece of trash.  Jordan is light and somewhat powdery like Chrome, but that's where the similarities end.  After the initial citrusy smell in the opening fades, Jordan becomes a light spicy jasmine scent, and for the most part it stays that way for hours. 

There are a lot of aromatic notes (pepper, nutmeg, cardamom, e.g.) listed in Jordan, but although I can't identify them individually, I can tell they're in here because there's a spicy, cutting edge to the jasmine, no doubt due to the presence of those spices.  They add masculinity to what otherwise would have been a rather feminine, sweetly floral fragrance.  The sandalwood in the drydown adds an even more aromatic twist to the overall scent, and is a welcome addition.

My one criticism of Jordan, however, is that most prominent of the materials in it - the jasmine, sandalwood and musk - have a synthetic smell.  I don't expect a $20 cologne to use natural versions of those ingredients, but I would expect the synthetics to be better supported by natural ingredients, even if the naturals are inexpensive.  It's not that Jordan smells bad or like chemicals - it doesn't.  It just is a bit lacking in depth, no doubt due to the lack of natural materials.

Criticism aside, I do like this fragrance and find it unique.  It won't knock you on the floor with its strength or masculinity, but it's a fragrance I'm glad to have in my wardrobe.  I don't own many fragrances that smell like this, and it's one I enjoy wearing.

MY RATING:  7.5/10

Fragrance House:  Michael Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment