Sunday, July 8, 2012

Oscar For Men

One thing I respect so much about Oscar de la Renta is that he's limited his men's fragrance line to only two: Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui and this one, Oscar For Men.  Both are superb, and he really has no need to water down his men's line by adding more.  I respect him for not turning into a Serge Lutens or a Montale, cranking out a new so-so fragrance twice a week.

I never thought this would happen, but in Oscar For Men I have found a woody spicy scent to equal, if not top, what I considered to be the two best woody spicy fragrances money can buy: Essenza di Zegna and Comme Une Evidence Homme.  Oscar For Men has the same wonderful transparency of those two gems, but has even more complexity.

It is a shimmering fragrance of almost kaleidoscopic color, shifting facets and moods throughout the day, yet always sticking to its woody spicy core and never losing its focus.  When I wear this, I get whiffs of melon, evergreen woods, leafy green notes, lemon, moss, cedar, and countless other dazzling notes, all at different times of the day.  This fragrance never gets boring.  I love how it maintains a peppery smell from start to finish.  I can't think of many perfumes that are able to do that.

What is especially fascinating is that underlying all this dry freshness is a very dark, parched, almost smoky wood note, reminiscent of the burnt wood smell you get in Santos de Cartier.  It's subtle, but always there to remind you that this is a distinctively masculine scent.

Oscar For Men is the perfect woody spicy fragrance in every way.  It's inexpensive, yet it smells better than any hyper-expensive niche fragrance I've ever tried (yes, it's even better than Fou d'Absinthe).  What's more is that it's a strong fragrance in both sillage and longevity.  I can literally smell this on myself for more than 12 hours.  Value for your dollar is outstanding, yet I would pay niche fragrance prices for this if I had to.

Fans of woody spicy fragrances, you may have your Holy Grail here.

MY RATING:  10/10

Fragrance House:  Oscar de la Renta

8 comments:

  1. So many classics, so little time....and $.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luckily this one isn't a lot of money. I recently got my 100 ml. bottle for only $22, shipping included.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good deal even though I prefer smaller sizes since I have a decent collection now. I'm leaning towards a blind buy of Jivago Connect also. You're getting quite a library. Maybe it's time for some sort of top 10 favorites, or powerhouses, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right, I do need to do another Top Three article. I had hoped to do one every few weeks or months, but I haven't had the time to dedicate to it. Doing a single review every other night or so is a lot easier than doing one of those big articles, but I still plan on doing more of them. Doing a "Top Five" is like doing five reviews at once plus some historical background.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shouldn't be too hard, "Top 10 Powerhouses"..quorum, lapidus, kouros....see, almost done already, ha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I picked up a smaller bottle of this at T.J. Maxx. I like it. Don't love it. Yet. There's something about it that doesn't quite grab me. I like the lemon, the wood, the spice. But I want something else. Not sure what that is. Oh well.

    P.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried wearing it for a full day yet? If you haven't, wait until you try wearing it before making a final judgement on it. I remember first smelling Oscar years ago at a store. I spritzed some on the back of my hand, and I was unimpressed with what smelled like a generic woody citrus to me. It wasn't until I started wearing it that it came to life for me. It's a tough frag to merely sample.

      Delete
    2. I've not worn it "out" yet. . .but I will. I like it a lot. Maybe my problem is that I compare it to 3rd Man. And nothing compares favorably to 3rd Man!

      P.

      Delete