Saturday, July 14, 2012

Rochas Man

I noted in my review of Michael Jordan's Legend last week that I'd never smelled Rochas Man, a fragrance to which Legend is often compared.  Well what do you know, but a few days ago I found a bottle on clearance for only ten dollars, so I bought it.

Comparisons to Legend are spot on, because the two fragrances are remarkably similar.  Rochas has a lot more snob appeal than Michael Jordan's fragrances do, but for me the clear-cut winner is Legend.  Whereas Legend pushes the limits of my tolerance for sweet fragrances, Rochas Man crosses the line.  Rochas is simply too sweet for me to wear on a regular basis.

Interestingly, Rochas' opening is slightly less sweet than Legend's.  The problem with Rochas Man, however, is that the sweetness never lets up.  I smell caramel covered cappuccino when I first spray it on, and that caramel smell stays for hours and hours with little respite.  Just like in Legend, there's a heavy amber drydown, but unlike the nice masculine, aromatic quality in Legend's amber, Rochas' amber retains that same heavy vanilla 'n caramel smell I get in the opening, and it's too much for me.  Rochas could have added a Snickers bar to this composition and it would have worked.  You really need to love gourmand perfumes to wear this regularly.

Please don't take this as a negative review, because it actually isn't.  This is where I need to separate my opinion of the fragrance's quality from how much I like it.  Rochas Man is a very well made fragrance, and it is very well blended and balanced, even if its sweetness is too much for me.  This fragrance was probably never meant for people like me anyway.  It's the consummate gourmand perfume, and you really need to be a fan of that genre of fragrances to really enjoy this.

I actually do like this scent, but only for the first couple of hours of wearing it.  I just don't see myself wearing this very often, simply because of the intense sweetness, which gets more extreme the longer you wear it.  On the other hand, if you love gourmands, then Rochas Man is mandatory.

MY RATING:  7.5/10

Fragrance House:  Rochas

No comments:

Post a Comment