Monday, July 2, 2012

Tommy Summer Cologne 2010


If you're looking for a fragrance that smells like ocean water, then you ought to give Tommy Summer Cologne 2010 a sniff.  This really does smell a lot like sea water.  It does it by blending the synthetic "marine" note Calone with some light herbs like sage and patchouli.  I'm not sure if it's merely this combination that does it, or if there's another synthetic ingredient added to the fragrance, but this accord creates a scent that smells both salty and oceanic.  It's quite an interesting smell, and I commend the perfumer for being able to recreate the smell of the sea in perfume form.

The problem is that it after an hour or so, the herbal notes fade and the Calone becomes the dominant smell, at which point the fragrance smells overwhelmingly synthetic and unpleasant.  In fact, Tommy Summer Cologne 2010 smells like a simplistic, stripped-down version of 1991's groundbreaking Kenzo Pour Homme, a fragrance I respect but do not like at all.  If Hilfiger's scent didn't smell so much like Kenzo Pour Homme, I'd probably enjoy it more than I do.

Despite my criticism, I do think Tommy Summer Cologne is worth trying out if you're looking for an oceanic fragrance, since its resemblance to the smell of the ocean is quite accurate.  Also, you may find its synthetic smell  to be more tolerable than I do.

MY RATING:  6.5/10

Fragrance House:  Tommy Hilfiger

No comments:

Post a Comment