Monday, August 6, 2012

Carrera Pour Homme

I've been wanting to review this fragrance for a while, but I've procrastinated because there's not a lot I can say about it, other than that I don't love it but don't hate it either.

Carrera Pour Homme, I think, is a sweet, musky vetiver scent.  I say "I think" because I haven't seen a list of notes for this scent.  The opening is awesome - sharp and dry, with a robust black pepper note and bitter vetiver.  It smells like Open by Roger & Gallet at this point.  This part is great!

Unfortunately, it doesn't take long for the sweet, soapy musk and tonka bean to take over the whole fragrance, and Carrera ends up smelling like shampooed hair.  The vetiver is still there, but it's completely overpowered by the shampoo smell, and I don't like fragrances that smell like shampoo.  If they'd just toned down the musk and tonka bean, and ramped up the vetiver and pepper, this would have been awesome.

My wife told me she likes Carrera, but that it's somewhat feminine and sweet.  That's probably because it smells like her hair after she's washed it.

Despite the shampoo smell, I still sort of like this.  It's pleasant, and sometimes I do like wearing fragrances that have a soapy smell.  I can't see wearing Carrera in anything but warm weather, as it's much too lightweight to wear in winter or fall.

P.S.  Carrera had released a fragrance with the same name back in the 1980's, but with a different bottle and apparently with a completely different scent.  I've never tried the original version.  The Carrera I am reviewing is the reissued version, pictured above.

MY RATING:  6/10

Fragrance House:  Carrera

2 comments:

  1. I don't agree with you completely. I wear it for several years and always have good compliments about it aside from feeling comfortable with it as a daily fresh scent.

    I know it smells a bit like shampooed hair when it dries down, but what any handsome office guy needs except to feel showered and clean all day :) Also, most girls like refreshing scents because it attracts their feelings.

    My assumptions, Carrera's marked and Top notes are Lavender, Coriander, Rosemary, pepper, vetiver.. Middle notes are Anise, Geranium, Carnation.. Base notes: Cedar, Tonka, Musk, Sandalwood. It is sophisticated, handsome, classy and soft!

    However, there is scent variation in its production i.e. some batches (7,8) are different than others (1,4,5). Batch no. is a small no. on the bottom of the glass bottle. Also, there are about 3 different versions of the classic Carrera which can be confusing at the end, but the old one which is by (VA) -- small text on cylindrical bottle and not (CO) is the best one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great fragrance. Difícil de encontrar.

    ReplyDelete